- Mechanical Engineering, Product Design
- Hullavington, Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Research, Design and Development (RDD) is Dyson's engine room. It’s where our engineers challenge convention, build, test, fail, refine, and then fail again - all to invent technology that solves problems that others ignore. We’re driven by progress and thrive on the challenge of relentless improvement. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.Our product development teams take radical new ideas and develop them into reality. They explore the limits of our technology and optimise it through relentless experimenting, testing and iterating. Our New Product Innovation team is our ideas centre. It identifies new problems and develops concepts to solve them with disruptive and ground-breaking technology.
About the role
As a New Product Innovation (NPI) graduate, you’ll be sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining to deliver the high standards of product development Dyson is known for, working on ideas that will disrupt and transform markets.
You’ll need to be thoroughly hands-on, practically applying your technical knowledge with a creative flair to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
When you join, you’ll be expected to hit the ground running on one of Dyson’s many live projects. Working as part of a larger project team, you’ll have your own set of project deliverables and the chance to take ownership of how these are achieved.
Some of your tasks could include:
- Using creative problem solving to produce effective design solutions
- Designing and building proof-of-principle rigs
- Hand-producing prototypes
- Testing prototypes to validate design decisions
- Defining product specifications and design of production parts
Working with engineers and scientists/technical experts across a broad range of disciplines, you’ll be comfortable learning from others, but also sharing your own knowledge, ideas and opinions. Through collaboration, teams form complete concept proposals and business cases that can be presented to executive stakeholders, including James and Jake Dyson.
As well as your line manager to help you along the way, you’ll be supported with a development framework designed to provide the technical and commercial know-how to help you drive your Dyson career.
Our graduate roles are competitive and delivering the next generation of Dyson technology is tough, so you’ll need to be:
- On track for a 2:1 or above in an engineering or design/product design discipline
- Able to evidence how you have applied your technical knowledge to solve problems, either through your university projects or as part of your extra-curricular activities or personal projects.
- Happy to build and maintain your own networks to learn from the technical expertise around you.
- Passionate about Dyson and our technology to help us meet our ambitious future plans.
Above all, you’ll want to play a key part in bringing the next generation of Dyson technology to the world.
All applications will be reviewed however, we advise on applying as soon as possible in order to participate in our first round of assessment centres.
•27 days holiday plus bank holidays
•Performance related bonus and joining bonus
•Free on-site gym and sports centre
•Subsidised café and restaurants
•Discounts on Dyson machines
•Free on-site parking
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.