- Automotive, Mechanical Engineering, Motors and Power Systems, Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Deliver robust battery pack design solutions that fulfil the fundamental design requirements, achieving world class levels of power density.
* Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline
* Understand and comply with all relevant International Standards.
* Develop innovative & novel concepts with high value IP.
* Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept to proof of principle (Technology Readiness Level 7).
* Demonstrate a sound understanding of systems engineering principles to define, optimise and validate product performance.
* Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to influence its design through knowledge of the latest technologies & methods.
* Be a source of mechanical engineering expertise to advise on design, development, material, manufacturing, validation and test issues.
* Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency
* Have the ability to build and manage relationships both internally and externally with suppliers and academic bodies
Education and experience:
* A degree in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline (2:1 degree or better) with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
* Working knowledge of 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages,
* Good knowledge of analytical techniques, including Finite Element Analysis (ideally Ansys, Altair HyperWorks)
* Sound understanding of structural design principles, integrity assessment and design for dynamic loading and shock.
* Knowledge of a range of life prediction techniques, both for fatigue and fracture, covering low and high cycle regimes.
* Basic level of thermal systems design knowledge
* Understanding of statistics and robust design techniques
* Appreciation of materials science.
* Ability to apply systems engineering principles to translate fundamental business / system requirements into system design definition and sub-system / component requirements.
* Understanding of technical risk management processes including Functional / Design FMEA
* Sound knowledge of manufacturing techniques plus experience in definition of manual and automated assembly processes
* Appreciation of relevant national, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation * Sound knowledge of GD&T
* Composite structure design and analysis
* Recent experience of EV battery pack design and development
* Knowledge of adhesive selection and use.
* Appreciation of relevant motor technology or high speed rotating machinery
* Knowledge of ISO 26262
* Electrical systems integration
* An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, thermodynamics, CFD analysis and electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems