- Mechanical Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work within our Motors Development Team to apply unique skills and experience to deliver our next generation motors and integrate them into future products.
As an Aerodynamic/Turbomachinery Engineer, you will be responsible for aero components and air path design. You will use analytical techniques to numerical and experimental analysis, to drive early development design concepts. In addition, the candidate will be involved in continuous improvement and development of experimental techniques and design methodologies, further enhancing capabilities of the team and Dyson as a whole.
The successful candidate will be expected to take proactive approach in identifying and evaluating new high speed motor technologies, specifically taking a leading role in the areas of turbo machinery aerodynamics, aero-acoustics and thermal management.
You will ensure there is a smooth transition of projects from development to manufacturing and provide any required support afterwards. You will also be involved in aero-acoustic and noise reduction activities of the aero system and motor as a whole providing unique solutions for the low noise motors.
You will be required to:
- Deliver product focused motor aerodynamics to support development of new generation Dyson Digital Motors.
- Generate innovative concepts for new technologies through detailed aero and thermal numerical analysis.
- Experimentally validate aerodynamic systems, thoroughly analyse test results, summarise findings and communicate to other members of project team, ensuring all work is appropriately documented.
- Liaise with internal research teams to ensure effective project transfers and integration of technology into future product.
- Provide design advice and guidance to design managers and product teams, taking a lead role and responsibility for the areas of aerodynamic design of the motor, fluid flow and thermal management. Support this advice through experimental validation and other relevant analysis methods and tools (including CFD).
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with design engineers at all levels, including the relevant technical teams in the Far East (travailing might be required)
- Work closely with the other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned project timeline.
- A first degree or Masters in Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent (other relevant engineering disciplines will be considered).
- Turbomachinery aerodynamics and design skills.
- Strong knowledge of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics.
- Experience in using commercial CAD tools, preferably Siemens NX.
- Good understanding of the principles and application of CFD, with previous experience in using ANSYS / NUMECA / CONCEPTS tools.
- Good understanding of experimental techniques, particularly with regard to pressure, temperature and flow measurement.
- Good programing in MATLAB & Python skills would be an advantage.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent team-working skills
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
Performance related bonus
Free on-site parking
Subsidised café and restaurants
Discounts on Dyson machines