- £11,000 per annum + bonus + training + pension
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Our grounds team is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of all outdoor spaces here at Dyson – over 50 acres in Malmesbury, and 500 acres at Hullavington nearby. Ranging from pathways through wooded areas to ornamental flower beds and grass lawns, the focus of the team is not only to maintain the site aesthetically but also to add value to it from an ecological standpoint. The grounds team works closely with the other teams in the Estates department to ensure the site is always maintained to the highest possible standard.
As an apprentice in Horticulture and Landscaping, you’ll work towards an industry recognised qualification through work-based learning with one day a week at Wiltshire College’s Lackham campus. The apprenticeship will take approximately 18 months to complete with a final assessment just after this. But this is just the start. There would be opportunities for further study and progression for the right individuals.
No two days are the same at Dyson. Each member of the team helps with all aspects of the maintenance and upkeep of the site. Examples of what you could be doing include:
- The primary role of our apprentice will be to support the senior members of the grounds team in their day to day duties.
- Examples of daily tasks include grass cutting, border maintenance, pruning, hedge maintenance and summer watering of plants and trees.
- General site upkeep such as leaf clearing and litter picking.
- Seasonal work – snow clearance and grit spreading.
- Work in small teams on specific projects such as the creation of new outdoor spaces.
- Working towards supervising specialist contractors to carry out planned maintenance.
- Supporting across various sites – Malmesbury, Hullavington – as required.
You’ll be motivated, enthusiastic and committed to developing a career in grounds maintenance. You will naturally flourish in a busy team environment and like everyone at Dyson, you’ll need that crucial blend of perfectionism, inventiveness and resourcefulness under pressure.
You should be able to demonstrate a keen interest in horticulture and the ability to work outside in all weather conditions. A strong work ethic and an eye for detail are crucial attributes required by the successful candidate. Our grounds team is a tight knit group and our apprentice will need to be a team player who will do whatever required to maintain the site to the highest possible standard. Working within a large department, you’ll need basic IT literacy with the ability to compose emails (Outlook), schedule activities or equipment (Excel) and be prepared to learn how to use specialist applications/software to aid workflow (Windows).
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sports centre
- Free parking
- Discount on Dyson machines