- Energy storage
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Dyson’s interest in researching and developing energy storage technologies started more than a decade ago, when it became apparent that the full potential of our DDM motors were starting to be held back by commercially available batteries. Fast-forward to 2021, and we now have over 100 scientists and engineers working on battery R&D across our labs in the UK, US and Singapore.
With multiple generations of Dyson battery technologies ranging from early research through the industrialisation phase, Dyson are recruiting a wide range of roles across their UK and Singapore labs to accelerate progress. These roles include materials scientists, electrochemists, cell design engineers, cell test technicians, cell assembly technicians, mechanical design engineers, manufacturing process development engineers and manufacturing technologists. We are recruiting at all levels of seniority up to senior technical leadership roles.
About the roleDyson requires a skilled and highly motivated Battery Simulation Engineer to become part of a growing team of Battery researchers developing next generation battery technology and optimising the way batteries are used across Dyson cordless products.
- Development and maintenance of battery modelling environments across Energy Storage research groups.
- Development of Electro-thermal battery model (including 1D and spatially resolved models) .
- Support downstream development and handover activities for implementation of models and algorithms into production software (e.g State of Charge, State of Health, State of Function etc.).
- Support projects to develop multi-physics modelling activities to study the impact of battery ageing, thermal failure, mechanical failure on battery pack and system design.
- Support development of first principle electrochemical battery modelling activities
- Assist in developing the model characterisation process as well as streamlining and optimisation of data collection and analysis.
- Development of data analytics to understand how energy storage products are used by customers and feed back into design process.
- Management of data repositories.
- Higher Degree in Physical Science, Mathematics or Engineering.
- Background in numerical and physics based modelling.
- Experience in Matlab.
- Ability to manage their own time and coordinate with others to prioritise and deliver long-term goals with limited oversight.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure environment in an organised manner.
- Ability to adapt and acquire new skills outside of speciality.
- Ability to identify and solve problems independently and pragmatically.
- Excellent team working skills.
- Ability to develop innovative solutions to established problems.
- Experience in battery modelling
- Use of dedicated Battery modelling software environments (e.g. COMSOL).
- Experience in high-level software development.
- Experience working in an industrial research environment.
- Experience in thermal modelling.
- Some experience in c# and python may be beneficial.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.