- Energy storage, Manufacturing and tooling, Mechanical Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
There is a requirement for a Coatings Manager to join the solid state batteries team to further develop the processes required to progress technology established in research through to pilot scale manufacture.
Whilst technical expertise is core to this role, it is also important that the individual is a strong and skilful leader, with the ability to operate as an equal with the senior management team, collaboratively driving the program forwards though strategic thinking and objective decision making, as well as sound technical judgement.
Reporting to the head of the energy storage development team, the role sits within the leadership team which is collectively responsible for the success of Energy Storage at Dyson. It is hence important that the individual operates at a level of seniority to contribute to, and take ownership of strategic and operational responsibilities that are beyond the immediate equipment area.
Applicants for this particular role must have significant experience in the aforementioned areas, specifically to the development of critical processes ready for pilot scale manufacture. This role will involve
• The planning and operation of a number of roll to roll vacuum deposition systems
• The safe operation of the equipment, including developing procedures and processes for coatings development, improvements, economic and uptime enhancements.
• Review of alternative and parallel technology methods to achieve the same aim
• Guiding quality and driving for highest yields and conformity.
• Working with partners and internal engineers to rapidly prototype solutions for trial & verification
• To lead development projects with partners and collaborators for the prototyping and engineering of new and enhanced equipment.
As a senior employee, the successful applicant would be expected to :
• Recruitment, motivation and direction of a highly technical engineering team
• Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility
• Prove the production intent solution and create suitable documentation prior to handover to the manufacturing teams and partners
• Demonstrate solutions are safe, robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis
• Assist in the personal development of junior team members.
• Degree in a scientific or engineering discipline
• > 5 Years’ direct experience developing processes or products based on physical vapour deposition technology o Has operated coatings equipment at R&D and plant level o Has developed / installed technologies for enhancing coatings
• Hands on Engineering, demonstrated solving problems in a time and value critical way
• Team management – Has formed and developed a high performing team culture.
• Project progression – Has demonstrated taken a product/idea/process from research (early phase) through to prototype on a number of occasions
o Process Development for manufacture including demonstrated decision influencing.
o Product & process engineering for quality & value with demonstrated improvements Desirable
• Vacuum (UHV & HV) engineering, assembly, design, maintenance
o System layout & sub-assembly design
o Thin Film Deposition technology developments (Sputtering / Thermal Evap / Induction)
• Design & construction of development and Pilot-Line equipment o Batch & continuous processes (Roll to Roll)
o Multi-stage unit operations; timings & work-flow
o Hazardous & complex environments, (e.g. dry / explosive / particulate / vapour)
• Construction of test facilities - Metal working, assembly, design (CAD), electronics
• Data acquisition & Processing – Scientific in understanding but engineering in mind-set.
o Proficient in MS Office including Excel o Statistical process control – Lean Six Sigma type approaches.
• Battery material development
• Experienced CAD user / designer
• 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
• Pension scheme
• Performance related bonus
• Life assurance
• Sport centre
• Free on-site parking
• Subsidized café and restaurants
• Discounts on Dyson machines