- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson is growing. Fast. More products. New categories. More visual communications. We are a creative technology company with a global and iconic identity. Our mission is simple: We solve problems others ignore with exciting new technologies which defy convention.
Communicating our products’ superiority with brevity and presenting ourselves in the right way is essential to selling, protecting identity, and building our hard-earned reputation. And every contact with our public contributes to the Dyson experience, so each must reflect our values and philosophy. Perfectly.
The Direct and Digital team is focused on delivering an outstanding online user experience, both for existing Dyson product owners and for potential new consumers. The copy team’s role is to write and manage copy for the site, both for the local GB market and for our wider global markets.
About the roleThe scope of work includes delivering copy for Dyson products, campaigns and wider suite of websites, to provide a seamless, high-quality experience for visitors on all platforms – mobile, tablet and desktop.
You’ll work with people from across the business, including Commercial, Engineering, HR and Legal teams to generate new copy in the Dyson tone of voice. You’ll also be working closely with content developers to provide them with the correct copy, as well as reviewing and approving copy.
A key part of the role is managing copy to deadlines using established processes, to deliver the right content at the right time. You’ll also take responsibility for the basics: grammar, spell checking and proofing jobs prior to publishing. Your writing should be compelling, competitive, technically accurate and legally substantiated, with an effortless simplicity that intrigues and enlightens the reader. All Dyson copy should be based in fact, scientific principles and clear consumer benefits, not marketing jargon or spin. You will ensure that wherever possible, your writing conveys a position of superior performance, reflecting the fact that Dyson products are engineered to work better.
- Building a thorough understanding of the Dyson story – our heritage, our philosophy, how we talk about ourselves.
- Interrogating and interpreting creative briefs to establish solid foundations for all of your work.
- Ensuring a thorough understanding of the products and technologies that you’re writing about.
- Collaborating closely with Commercial, Legal and Performance team colleagues to create copy that is robust and accurate.
- Working closely with the Content Management team to deliver clear copy in the agreed format, then reviewing and approving copy in situ.
- Adapting your approach for different areas of the site. Sometimes, you will be required to write benefit-led features copy, others in much more technical detail or for focused areas such as careers pages, James Dyson Foundation or the Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology.
- Organising your time in conjunction with Project Managers to produce the right content for when it’s needed.
- Working under the direction of the Head of Copy, you’ll contribute to the overall tone of voice for Dyson copy and make sure this is maintained across all writing, for all markets.
- Proofreading all final copy, including checking for grammatical accuracy prior to final production.
- Ensuring all work is in line with Dyson brand values and follows the relevant brand and design guidelines.
- Sharing your passion for good writing with the broader team – establishing excellence as the norm and helping to maintain the standards of Dyson copy.
- Excellent copywriting, editing, and literacy skills including spelling and grammar. You’ll have an obsessive eye for detail.
- You’ll need experience in a reputable creative agency, in-house team or with a proven track record of work as a freelance writer, with demonstrable evidence of delivering impactful digital copy.
- As an imaginative, dynamic writer, you’ll be capable of understanding highly technical products and communicating them in the right way for Dyson consumers. With an inherent skill for storytelling and understanding of narrative structure, you can engage and absorb people on a human level.
- You’ll have proven ability to understand and interpret background information and to generate strong insights into the various target audiences for whom your work needs to connect with
- Experience of working with an innovative technology or product brand would be an advantage.
- With excellent organisational skills and an ability to juggle several projects at once, you’ll be able to take direction and work effectively as part of a wider team. Confident and articulate, you’ll be no stranger to presenting your work with passion and enthusiasm, supporting your thinking both with clear rationale and creative expression.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
This is a fixed term contract for 6 months.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.