- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We’re looking for an app Copywriter to work in the Dyson Connected team. Reporting to the Head of Copy, you’ll be responsible for producing copy for the Dyson Link app and our connected machines.
Dyson is growing. Fast. More products. New categories. More visual communications. We are a creative technology company with a global and iconic identity. Our mission is simple: We solve problems others ignore with exciting new technologies which defy convention.
Communicating our products’ superiority with brevity and presenting ourselves in the right way is essential to selling, protecting identity, and building our hard earned Reputation. And every contact with our owners contributes to the Dyson Experience, so each must reflect our values and philosophy. Perfectly.
The Connected team is responsible for designing, developing and releasing the Dyson Link app. The app connects to a range of our air treatment machines, robot vacuums and lighting products.
The app gives owners additional features and product feedback, and makes the intelligence of Dyson technology clear and simple to understand.
The scope of work delivers copy for the Dyson Link app, across categories. Writing and editing copy for multiple areas, from initial connection to support, technical explanations to CTAs. You’ll be part of a wider team of copywriters across the business, working day-to-day with a team of UI/UX designers, and your work should complement theirs (and vice versa). You’ll be embedded with the Connected team, and required to develop copy as their designs evolve. You’ll also take responsibility for the basics: grammar, spell checking and proofing jobs prior to handover and translation.
You’ll be required to develop copy that is succinct but not clipped, understandable but not boring, and legally substantiated. Your writing should have an effortless simplicity yet still enlighten. It should guide, rather than direct. All Dyson copy should be based in fact, scientific principles and clear consumer benefits, not marketing jargon or spin.
You’ll make sure that, wherever possible, your writing conveys a position of superior performance, reflecting the fact that Dyson products are engineered to work better.
1. Building a thorough understanding of the Dyson story – our heritage, our philosophy, how we talk about ourselves.
2. Interrogating and interpreting user stories to establish solid foundations for all of your work.
3. Ensuring a thorough understanding of the products and technologies that you’re writing about.
4. Collaborating closely with the UI/UX Creative Team to ensure that you fully understand the user journeys and experiences being designed.
5. Working across categories to create copy that builds simple, understandable user journeys.
6. Working with engineers in RDD and creatives in Commercial to ensure consistent terminology and messaging across all outputs.
7. Writing with localisation in mind. You’ll have less space to convey certain messages, especially when you take into account longer languages.
8. Assisting with usability testing, from a copy perspective, alongside the UI/UX creatives.
9. Collaborating with IP, Privacy and Legal team colleagues to create solutions that are robust and accurate.
10. Managing the production and delivery of app translations.
11. Working with upstream teams to provide copy support on conceptual designs and proposition features.
12. Working under the direction of the Head of Copy, you’ll contribute to the overall tone of voice for Dyson copy and ensure that this is maintained across all app journeys.
13. Adapting your approach for different types of requirements – sometimes you’ll need to write with brevity, sometimes with more detail. Sometimes you’ll need to be able to communicate in simple language and other times to write with a more scientific or technical bias.
14. Proofreading and spell checking of all final copy, including checking for grammatical accuracy prior to handover to developers.
15. Sharing your passion for good writing with the broader team – establishing excellence as the norm and helping to set the standards for all copy.
16. Ensuring all work is in line with Dyson brand values and follows the relevant brand and design guidelines.
Excellent copywriting, editing, and literacy skills including spelling and grammar.
With experience in a reputable creative agency, in-house team or with a proven track record of work as a freelance writer, preferably with experience of writing for apps. You’ll have demonstrable evidence of delivering work that forms part of impactful app user journeys. Experience working with Sketch would be an advantage.
You’ll be an imaginative, technical writer with an avid interest in app design and development, and capable of drawing reference and inspiration from a wide range of sources and interests.
You’ll have an inherent skill for writing simple, informative instructional copy, and understand how to write support content, too.
You’ll have proven ability to understand and interpret background information and to generate strong insights into the various target audiences with whom your work needs to connect.
Experience of working with an innovative technology or product brand would be an advantage.
With excellent organisational skills and an ability to juggle several projects at once, you’ll be able to run projects on your own, but also to take direction and work effectively as part of a wider team.
Confident and articulate, you’ll be no stranger to presenting your work with passion and enthusiasm, supporting your thinking both with clear rationale and creative expression.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.