- Product Design
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson are looking for a strong, hands on 3D Packaging Designer to innovate and develop packaging designs for our existing and future products and categories. Working within the Design & Product Experience team you will be part of a newly established, growing area for our team; focussed on reimagining our existing offering within the structural packaging and out of box experience space. You will be considering presentation, materials, functionality and sustainability all through the lens of formulating a Dyson ‘world class’ customer experience.
AccountabilitiesSet the vision and be the custodian of the execution through to production: Interrogate, investigate, propose and innovate our packaging and out of box experience:
- You will define the design, layout, materials and requirements of our structural packaging with a user-centred, environmental and ‘best-in-class’ approach. You will generate ideas that are both packaging enhancing, innovative and value driven.
- Prototyping and demonstration: You will be able to bring your ideas and designs to life through, sketching, illustration, 3D CAD modelling, rendering and most importantly physical 3D prototyping. You also work closely with the model-shop to create more complex prototypes.
- Collaboration: You will work hand-in-hand with designers and artworkers from the NPI Creative team to create outstanding packaging and out of box experiences, as well as downstream Graphics & Packaging teams (UK & SEA), RDD category teams, commercial and insights.
- Work closely with the VP-NPI and Global Creative Director to initiate early concept stage packaging design and design development.
- Communication: A key part of this role is to clearly communicate complex information in many different formats. This includes graphical, verbal/presentations and physical prototype demo’s etc.
- User trials and insights: You will user trial options when needed to make decisions or validate a design. Managing/working with those responsible for insights, user trials and competitor analysis.
- Researching new materials and processes to enhance design and environmental credentials.
- Concurrently balance workload across multiple product categories at varying levels of maturity.
- A degree in a relevant product/industrial design, packaging design discipline or equivalent.
- A creative, user-focussed packaging designer who is always looking to improve a packaging solution and the experience for our customers.
- Excellent product focussed design skills – layout, graphics, sketching, prototyping along with problem solving and analytical skills.
- A great eye for detail and a sensitivity to the visual, user-experience and environmental impact aspects of structural packaging.
- Self-driven and hands on 2D and 3D designer with the ability to work independently.
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively with cross-functional teams throughout the product development cycle. Ability to understand technical constraints quickly in order to suggest the appropriate course of action.
- Assertive and diplomatic – a great collaborator.
- Software Tools (preferable, not essential) - Illustrator, Photoshop, 3D CAD, 2D drafting software (Kasemake, Artios CAD etc.)
- Excellent communicator both verbally, graphically and through the use of sketches.
- Actively interested in new materials and technology advances.
- Comfortable with ‘failure’ in the context of multiple iterations of testing and learning.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines