- Product Design
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
As Design Engineer – Optical you will join an expanding team within NPI-EC at Dyson, you will have the opportunity to breach into a niche specialism and support concept development at early stages in optical technology projects. The use of optical and photonic technologies are a rapidly growing area for Dyson, ranging from various photoreactors to integrated illumination systems and indication, across all categories. It is essential that New Product Innovation categories have the support of optical design engineering to develop photometric/radiometric schemes and technologies.
AccountabilitiesAs the Design Engineer you will be an integral part of the Environmental Control team with responsibility for the design and development of visible wavelength optical schemes on several different projects.
- You will interact with different project teams and categories as well as providing support and solutions for multiple projects.
- You will need to be practical, with a hands on approach to designing, prototyping and evaluating solutions.
- You will support the Advanced Optical Design Engineer in the generation optical designs and solutions through the use of raytracing
- Optimisation of software and CAD Construction
- Commissioning of prototypes and test rigs involving optics/light for evaluation and testing.
- Identification and analysis of new technologies or innovations in optics / illumination.
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Optics or other suitable engineering or scientific discipline
- Development of injection moulded components for high volume manufacture
- Experience of modelling in CAD Experience of prototyping and concept model construction to a high standard
- Experience in general illumination and luminaire design would be beneficial, but tailored training will be available; priority is for experience using scientific techniques and understanding to optimise designs into feasible solutions.
- Ability to solder electronic components to a high standard
- Evidence of balancing and prioritising of requirements across a multi-disciplined team Strong problem solving skills
- Experience of illumination and optical system design and simulation for non-imaging systems; including design of lightguides, lenses and reflectors.
- Knowledge of Photometry, Radiometry and Colourimetry; Specification of LEDs for high volume manufacture
- Experience using Light Tools or equivalent software for optical simulation and optimisation
- Basic electronic circuit design and construction
- Knowledge of basic programming in C Experience of prototyping optical/illumination systems to a high standard
- Knowledge of prototyping methods for optical components
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines