- Product Design
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
As the Design Lead you will be part of the category team delivering technically superior products. You will apply functional knowledge and methodologies to resolve complex problems, providing technical leadership to help others resolve problems and ensure solutions follow robust principles and best practice. You will work independently, receiving some direction from a Design Manager or Head of Category, Project Management and other key stakeholders to identify and manage risks and deliver projects to spec, time and cost.
- Product vision and specification - collaborates with, influences and supports the Research and NPI teams, playing an active role in developing vision specifications and product requirements, and delivering VA and TS milestones to plan
- Delivery - demonstrates an exemplary level of passion, energy and commitment to support development and delivery of products, to specification, cost and quality that enable us to achieve our range plan
- Product – champion the product; be focal point for integration of technologies to ensure product vision and functions are met
- Requirements – lead requirements management at product level to ensure they meet product vision, they are structured correctly and communicated to relevant stakeholders to ensure alignment
- Platforms – support delivery new technologies that are optimised to meet product needs as well as future proofing for suitability of other product platforms
- Project transitions – drive collaboration across global teams to ensure efficient project transitions from NPI and to MDC, using the governance structure to manage resolution and drive accountability
- Deliver through others – influence, collaborate with, and align multiple disciplines e.g. mechanical, electrical, power systems, digital motors, software, user interface, visual design and packaging to drive the product vision and facilitate delivery
- Escalate - the right issues at the right time via an appropriate method. Understands when to form an ad-hoc cross team and set tactical meetings to escalate proposals with clear content and direction to the Design Manager and Head of Category
- Governance – Structure and lead Technical reviews, and support compilation of content for Phase and Milestone reviews
- Commercial direction – support Design Manager to influence Commercial direction regarding product understanding, creative, claims, retail and launch
- Operational direction – support Design Manager to influence direction regarding production engineering, critical quality and procurement strategy, manufacturing execution and supply chain planning.
- Insights and data - influence research, user, insights and engineering home trials. Proposes when and how trials can be executed to resolve critical to product and customer questions through efficient execution
- Change culture - champions a change culture inside and outside of Category. Regularly and proactively improves cross team ways of working both internal and external to RDD.
- Risk - anticipates risk and drives a culture of anticipating risk
- Intellectual property and Legal - Maintains an active involvement in assessing and escalating potential exposure to Dyson on behalf of Floorcare
- Proactive – Dedicated, dynamic, data driven, numerate and prepared to do what it takes to get the job done. Ability to work autonomously.
- Delivery – demonstrates leadership skills with a well-developed knowledge and understanding of engineering, and consumer product. A proven track record in managing technical programs and delivering projects to time, specification, cost and quality.
- Full design cycle experience - has played a key role in projects from early concept to start of production, global experience of site to site project transfers.
- Broad technical knowledge - experience of mechanical, electrical, motor and battery integration into a robust systems architecture.
- Manufacturing and operational knowledge - strong manufacturing assembly experience including tolerance and dimensional stability, build standards and change control.
- Communication - confidence to prepare and lead key design and delivery reviews, and ability to convey complex issues concisely and accurately across all RDD levels and to James Dyson.
- Commercial awareness – experience and understanding of product ranging and business cases
- Governance – understanding of governance structure • Insights – ability to influence insight requirements and use data to identify opportunities and drive decisions
- Globally aware - with an aptitude to deliver through others on multiple time zones.
- Development – growth mind set with natural ability to identify capability gaps
- Continuous improvement - experienced in continuous improvement, history of identifying change programs ahead of the curve, taking responsibility and leading by example
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holiday
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines