- MY Competitive Salary
- Mechanical Engineering
- Johor Bahru - Malaysia
The Design Manager will be responsible for developing world class technical products within Dyson’s product maturity and milestone process. Reporting directly to the Category Manager and working with high autonomy to drive forward products containing Dyson’s latest technology. This role requires world class communication with our global team, working alongside and driving an extended cross team covering technical functions (not limited to but including software, applications, sensors, materials, analysis, compliance etc.), quality and reliability, finance, commercial, and operational teams. The Design Manager must exhibit strong leadership in an environment of complex technical, manufacturing, financial, and commercial challenges, coupled with aggressive time lines. Clear technical understanding and excellent decision making capabilities are essential.
- The Design Manager is a key role within Dyson product development, and is the driving force behind our world leading and technically complex products. Strong leadership is needed in order to progress the project in the face of difficult technical challenges, demanding time lines, and interdependencies.
- Maintain a broad top level view & bottom level understanding of key project detail. The Design manager will be expected to understand and react to the changing landscape of challenges across the entire breadth of the project, whilst also maintaining and driving understanding of key technical detail in order to mitigate and improve the critical and high risk areas.
- High autonomy leadership of cross team. The role requires expert leadership and management skills of the extended cross team, covering all technical disciplines, quality & reliability, manufacturing, operations, commercial teams, and finance.
- An inquisitive mind, a problem solving hands on approach, and decision making capabilities are important to drive complex projects which are technically challenging accompanied with tight specifications and deadlines.
- Day to day direction, coaching and decision making of the cross functional team is essential, ensuring that all areas of the project can progress to specification, on time and to cost. Where clear targets or direction don’t exist then management of ambiguity to clarify expectations and targets is critical.
- Communication: Strong communication links must be developed with both the project leads and the global category team to ensure problems are discussed in an open and mature fashion and a consistent, collaborative approach is applied to all elements of product integration. You will also liaise with all other global development and cross-functional teams.
- Reporting: Each manager is responsible for clear communication of assembly and project status, ensuring the relevant risks and priorities are clearly communicated to the category leadership teams and across the project.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering /industrial design or relevant discipline or equivalent
- At least 10 years’ experience in product development; must have experience of successfully managing complex product development, technical problem solving, and effective communication
- A strong ability to manage and lead changes positively
- Go the extra mile to do his/her work; is self-driven and self-reliant to achieve design excellence
- A team player, able to work effectively with peers at all levels
- Possess a very flexible mind-set and the desire to do things differently in order to support the growth of the business
- A good knowledge of new product development process and industrial trends
- Experience working in a multi-national or global electronics company
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritize tasks and coordinate with the work of others
- Good commercial and financial awareness
- Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills
- Self-starter - ability to work independently and drive forward projects
- Ability to lead and motivate others to achieve outstanding results