- Product Design
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
About the roleThe Design Manager will work with the Head of New Product Innovation to define, develop and deliver an exciting new product within the Environmental Care Category to sufficient maturity for transfer to the development team.
A key collaborator and explorer, the Design Manager is pivotal in inspiring, energising and managing the early stage development of new products, engaging with broad areas of the business to ensure robustness of the product proposition. The Design Manager will be guided and mentored by the Head of NPI to support both professional development and project delivery.
- Manages a small sub-team of technical Design Engineers, pioneering the early stages of a project.
- Demonstrates an exemplary level of passion, energy and commitment to exploring user centric problem spaces and solution concepts; Helping to set robust time, specification and cost targets and then driving to delivery.
- Collaborates with Research and Category teams, playing an active role in setting vision specifications and product requirements, and helping to prepare for early product milestones.
- Project transitions – drive collaboration across teams to ensure efficient project transitions from NPI and on to the Development Team, using the governance structure to manage resolution and drive accountability
- Escalate - the right issues at the right time via an appropriate method. Understands when to form an ad-hoc cross team and set tactical meetings to escalate proposals with clear content and direction to the Head of NPI
- Commercial direction - influence Commercial direction regarding product understanding, engaging with claims, compliance and market strategy dialogues.
- Insights and data - influence research, user, insights and engineering home trials. Proposes when and how trials can be executed to resolve critical to product and customer questions through efficient execution
- Change culture - champions a change culture inside and outside of Category. Regularly and proactively improves cross team ways of working both internal and external to RDD.
- Risk - anticipates risk and drives a culture of failure mode avoidance
- Intellectual property and Legal - Maintains an active involvement in assessing and escalating potential risks or opportunities.
- Globally mobile - to support project activities i.e., off sites, trials, critical review, product launch and in-market activities
- A Pioneer – Challenges convention, fails fast to uncover the unexpected; strives for unique and better solutions to problems, seeing opportunities where others see obstacles.
- Delivery - a natural leader with a well-developed knowledge and understanding of engineering and consumer products. A proven track record in managing technical programs and delivering complex projects to time, specification, cost and quality.
- Dedicated, dynamic, data driven, numerate and prepared to do what it takes to get the job done
- Delivery through others – Influence, collaborate with, and align multiple disciplines e.g., mechanical, electrical, power systems, digital motors, software, user interface, visual design and packaging to drive the product vision and facilitate delivery.
- Leader - Previous experience of building, managing and motivating a high performing team, consistently achieving stretched targets to high standards.
- Full design cycle experience - has played a key role in projects from early concept to start of production, global experience of site-to-site project transfers.
- Broad technical knowledge - experience of disciplines from aerodynamics to mechanical design, thermodynamics and electronics; an excellent eye for detail.
- Communication - confidence to prepare and lead key design reviews, and ability to convey complex issues concisely and accurately across all RDD levels and to James Dyson.
- Commercial awareness – experience and understanding of product ranging and business cases; experience in leading product cost discussions.
- Governance – strong understanding of governance structure
- Interpersonal skills, emotionally intelligent with strong ability to build productive working relationships and influence at all levels.
- Resilience – Thrives in dynamic environments and relentless in navigating change to establish and deliver a clear vision for product.
Benefits27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays Pension scheme Performance related bonus Private medical insurance Life assurance Sport centre Free on-site parking Subsidised café and restaurants Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.