- Manufacturing and tooling, Product Design
- Hullavington - United Kingdom
We are a close-knit team working at the heart of product innovation through to the end of production. We work in a brand-new state of the art facility customised for our unique role. We work closely with designers across a wide range of products pushing boundaries in a fast pace environment.
About the roleAs a Lead Design Modeller in the Global Design & Product Experience team you will be working closely with designers generating visual models and working prototypes to define product concepts using a combination of skills such as hand fabricating, rapid prototyping, and spray painting.
You will have exclusive use of a customised workshop packed with equipment and a brand-new spray facility to produce these high-quality visual models and working prototypes.
- Own the look and feel of Dyson’ product models
- Use a variety of complex paint systems
- Operating various types of manual workshop equipment such as band saw, disk sander, pillar drill, lathe, and mill.
- Advance batch prototyping techniques such as vacuum forming and vacuum casting, making masters, moulds, and casting
- Programming, running, and challenging the capabilities of 3 and 4 axis CNC mills, lathe, laser cutter and the latest generation of 3D printers.
- Ability to hand fabricates high precision parts using a variety of engineering materials and rapid prototype materials
- Hand constructing a range of challenging textile prototypes using a variety of fabricating methods
- Work from various job request starting points such as sketches, verbal instruction, and engineering drawings.
- Ability to effectively communicate and converse with the product innovation and technology research teams.
- Develop clear, efficient, and logical approaches to work.
- Have a keen eye for detail and achieving ‘best-in-class’ models
- Utilise digital and physical tools (models, physical rigs, renderings, 2D prints) to create product models
- Embed learnings into continuous improvement activity both within their team and the wider team
- Assume ownership of projects and capable of working without close supervision
About youOur ideal team mate will have a keen eye for detail, enjoy the technical side of model making and seeking to be a proactive member of the team who will offer practical ideas and solutions for challenging problems. You will have the ability to pre-empt problems, seize opportunities and be consistent in the delivery of work.
- Degree in model making, product design (with model making module) or equivalent experience
- Experience of mentoring
- 4 years of product/hard edge modelling experience
- Proven experience in developing visual models and prototypes
- Highly skilled in 3D CAD and CAM applications (NX, Rhino, Alias, Solidworks)
- Proficient in 2D design software (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design)
- Excellent communicator with the ability to clearly present ideas both verbally and visually
- Diplomatic – a great collaborator and receptive of constructive criticism
Benefits27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays Pension scheme Performance related bonus Private medical insurance Life assurance Sport centre Free on-site parking Subsidised café and restaurants Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.