- Salary will be based on experience
- Chicago - USA
The Director of Communications will be responsible for directing and managing the public relations of Dyson in the Americas region, promoting and sustaining the company’s reputation for high technology, better product performance and our mission to improve daily lives.
With an eye to the future, the Director of Communications will deploy long term communications narratives that support Dyson’s evolution. Reporting into the Global Director of Product Communications with a dotted line into the President for Dyson in the Americas, this individual will set and guide the strategy for all communications narratives and ensure the Americas team consistently articulate Dyson’s vision and missions.
The Director of Communications will work closely with a senior peer group within the Global Communications Leadership Team to drive communications on a global scale, ensuring consistency with global strategy while representing the needs and differences of the Americas to that peer group. This individual will also work closely with the local business leadership team as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives both internally and externally.
Dyson’s Global Communications Team is charged with storytelling on a global scale, bringing to life Dyson technology, products, people, places and the company philosophy. The department is responsible for public relations, public affairs, internal communications and the James Dyson Award – our international design award for students of design and engineering.
Our Communications strategy focuses on authentically explaining our technology, the problems it solves, and how it intersects with improving the lives of our owners. With an increasing focus on storytelling through a multi-channel format covering traditional and social media, the objective is to build a positive Dyson reputation synonymous with technology, quality and class leading performance.
- Manage, build and protect the Dyson reputation
- Ensure the public views Dyson positively, challenging mis-truths wherever they exist
- Develop narratives for delivery to the Americas markets across categories and corporate, ensuring they are well packaged and consistent throughout the organization
- Develop strong and meaningful relationships with media partners at a senior, decision making level
- Drive team to develop and maintain strong media and influencer relationships, ensuring Dyson maximizes coverage and endorsement opportunities
- Create and launch new communications campaigns to support new products and communications activities; measure success of campaigns and report back to senior leadership
- Ensure that all opportunities for the local Leadership Team, Global Leadership Team and Jake/James Dyson are properly vetted
- Drive corporate strategy and message development, pitch and announcement strategies
- Develop branding initiatives both for internal communications and external release
- Determine Communications strategy and department goals ensuring programs are executed to deliver on Communication objectives
- Develop narratives alongside relevant business team or HR for delivery of Dyson culture and business strategy
- Hire, train and develop the communications organization throughout the Americas region
- Represent the Americas on the Global Communications Leadership Team
- Act as a key advisor to the business and leadership teams during issue management or crisis communications scenarios
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ years’ experience in Communications, Journalism and/or Social Media
- Experience in building world-class communications teams and developing key talent
- High energy, with the maturity to properly position Communications versus Marketing at both strategic and tactical levels
- Relationship builder, comfortable with operating within a global communications team where many key relationships are international – UK, Singapore and in key Clusters
- Proven track record of delivering best in class communications campaigns and building company awareness
- Highly self-motivated and proactive with the mindset of making each communications campaign different and better versus the last
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Exceptional copywriting in English (required) and Spanish (preferred)
- Art of the raconteur. Must be able to skillfully tell stories in written, verbal and visual form.
- Experience in crisis communications and successfully navigating reputation threatening issues
- An eye for design - understanding of how colour, lighting, shade, positioning and detail effect every aspect of the creative process
- The power of influence - ability to build and manage stakeholder relationships internationally and at all levels
- Talent development - ability to improve people, realize their potential and facilitate career paths locally and globally
Dyson US monitors the market to make sure we offer competitive salaries and retirement plans. But financial rewards are just the start of a successful career at Dyson. Professional growth and new opportunities are driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a dress code reflecting our creative engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition. Dyson is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with Dyson and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please send an e-mail with your contact information, the job number of the position for which you are interested in applying, and the nature of your request to email@example.com or call: (312) 706-2260. Determinations of requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis. Dyson is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities