- Energy storage, Research Engineering
- sn16 0rp, Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Reporting to the Head of Energy Storage Research, you will join a growing team of engineers in Dyson’s Strategy & Research Group. Your focus will be on the delivery of cell prototypes from our brand new prototyping facility.
• Manage a team of engineers and technicians to deliver cell prototypes based on Dyson cell design and technology
• Be responsible for maintaining a safe laboratory environment, including the implementation of operational excellence using 7S principals.
• Work with our project managers to plan cell prototyping and testing. This will include the application of DoE to address design and process questions. Dyson is dynamic environment, therefore you will need to be able to adapt plans quickly, and ‘sell’ the new plans to your team effectively to ensure the team remains engaged.
• Be a key contact in the transfer of design and process to our manufacturing team.
Education and experience:
Minimum BEng/MEng degree (2:1 degree or better) in Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or equivalent with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the development and prototyping of battery systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
• Cell Prototyping:
Knowledge of the practical aspects of cell prototyping (up to 100 > 40 Ah cells per week), including Electrode coating, pouch cell production, cylindrical cell production
• Equipment and Process:
Deep knowledge of the all processes and equipment associated with cell prototyping, including world-wide equipment suppliers and technology roadmaps:
A clear and demonstrated understanding of the safety challenges associated with Li-ion cell prototyping, including an understanding of the legislation and best practice.
Demonstrated ability to run a lab in a safe manner, including mitigation and control strategies beyond COSHH and risk assessment.
Ability to work autonomously, working across teams.
Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver low cost, high volume, high performance and reliable solutions.