- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our engineering approach starts with different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way. Today we employ more than 5,800 people around the world in software engineering, mechanical engineering and science-related roles.
About the roleOur Global Hardware Electronics team is looking for an individual with extensive experience in hardware, wiring design and leadership across multiple, global, complex projects to join as us the Head of Electronics Hardware. As Head of Electronics Hardware; you will report directly to the Global Hardware Director and have responsibility for the global delivery of complex electronics system design across multiple product categories. Your team will be split between the UK, Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines. This is an exciting opportunity to become part of a growing Electrical & Electronics function which is at the forefront of the development of our cutting-edge technology.As part of the role the successful candidate will be responsible for establishing a central wiring team initially in the UK with a plan to expand globally. As part of this central team it is expected that an overall wiring design process will be developed and implemented, working with the UK based technical experts, generation of design guides and standards is paramount to establishing a global standard to deliver high quality wiring in Dyson products.
The role will also have responsibility for establishing a sustaining engineering approach within the team. Building strong relationships with the Quality, Procurement and Manufacturing teams and relevant Heads of are vital to understand where improvements and efficiencies can be made. As our products become more advanced our understanding of existing problems in the field and the quality of the supply base we are working with is paramount to designing out issues and making sure the specifications the supply base works with reduces complexity and guarantees high component quality.
The role requires a sophisticated leader, who is able to build strong relationships across the multiple customers, stakeholders, sponsors and decision makers within Dyson, as well as with working closely with the Procurement and Quality teams to help deliver class leading Electronics hardware and wiring. It is highly likely that the successful candidate will be expected to take on greater responsibilities as the Electrical & Electronics team continues to grow.
- You will be responsible via the team for delivering a platform approach to electrical hardware and wiring system designs across a wide ride range of Dyson products
- Ensuring that team members under your control are responsible for and capable of delivering high quality design solutions to aggressive and predictable timelines.
- Support the resolution of issues and that you use the knowledge gained from this activity to drive continuous improvement within the individual teams.
- Responsible for continuous improvement in design capability, process, safety, reliability, and quality.
- You’ll need to establish excellent communication links with your peers to ensure problems are discussed in an open and mature fashion and a consistent, collaborative approach is applied to all elements of product development.
- Ensuring that all technical issues are well matched to the capability of the individuals within their teams.
- Responsible for ensuring that projects are supported within the new global engineering structure and the new project leadership teams across all categories.
- Ensuring that there are no fundamental or scheme related risks remaining in the tested design at each project Milestone.
- Responsible for the professional development of all individuals within your team. Monthly / quarterly meetings to discuss individual’s careers, technical and personal aspirations should be commonplace, and the focus must be on development rather than the immediacy of project delivery.
- Reporting ensuring clear communication of the design status, ensuring the relevant system electronics design risks are clearly communicated to your peers and upwards.
- Responsible for the strategic resource planning of the team to ensure the team has sufficient capability to deliver future projects.
- As part of the HW Leadership Team, the role is expected to take on and deliver to responsibilities beyond the team, which make a meaningful contribution towards driving the business forward
- Master or bachelor’s degree in (Electrical/Electronics) or demonstrate at least 10 Years of working in this field.
- Demonstrable technical design experience with a considerable amount of time spent in a leadership position.
- Excellent stakeholder management to align with our product category directors and VP’s
- Must have the experience of successfully leading and managing multiple complex projects starting from design, prototyping through to mass manufacturing.
- Must have experience in controlling tight budgets and planning for future expenditure in Opex and Capex.
- Proven leadership in global organization and problem-solving ability.
- Strong project / program manager skills.
- Demonstrable experience working in a multinational or global electronics company.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to work independently and effectively as a team.
- Preferably personnel specializing in Electronics, particularly in “Electronics” consumer environment.
- A proven leader, with a track record demonstrating an ability to manage complex internal and external interactions to the most senior levels.
- Communication. Clearly, concisely, and accurately represent activity.
- Proactively collaborates across teams and functions and works effectively across boundaries.
- Team player, both in operating within the team, and the broader Dyson global organisation.
- Initiative. A self-starter, who is able to align with broad technical and commercial objectives, and turn this into strategies, plans, objectives, and positive results
- Flexibility. Able to adapt to the constantly changing environment that is inherent in this disruptive technology driven company.
- Process driven approach. Implements and maintains effective and efficient processes.
- Humility. Whilst the right candidate will be extremely competent, operating with humility and respect is key to establishing a collaborative, cohesive, and high performing team.
- Resilience. Responds to change and adversity positively. Seeks opportunity in situations which may initially seem negative
- Commitment and ownership. Dyson is a family owned business, which makes long term commitments to stretching technology challenges. The strongest candidates will want to be on this journey with Dyson, rather than ‘just doing a job’
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.