- SGD Competitive Salary
- Mechanical Engineering, Product Design
- Singapore - Singapore
Reporting to the Global VP of Personal Care, the Head of New Category is directly responsible for defining, developing and delivering key innovation to deliver Dyson’s next generation of new category product technology. A key collaborator and influencer throughout the global cross team and wider business, this role is pivotal in inspiring, energising and managing the global development and execution of complex new technology projects across RDD, Operations and Commercial to extremely challenging timelines.
- Demonstrates an exemplary level of passion, energy and commitment to develop and deliver the 5-Year Product Range Plan on time, to specification, cost and quality.
- Manages the range plan through development of vision specifications at a platform level. Collaborates with, influences and supports the Research and NPI teams, playing an active role in setting vision specifications and delivering BA, VA and TS milestones to plan.
- Acts as a New Category ambassador within Group, to the Dyson Markets and external to Dyson. Recognised as a global point contact for New Category at a senior level, and a local point contact to Director and Exec level, influencing critical decision and direction.
- Maintains a high degree of design involvement. Uses RDD experience to play a key role in the influence and alignment of product design direction across multiple disciplines e.g. mechanical, electrical, power systems, digital motors, software, user interface, visual design and packaging.
- Escalates the right issues at the right time via an appropriate method. Understands when to form an ad-hoc cross team and set tactical meetings to escalate proposals with clear content and direction to Director and VP level.
- Aligned to Dyson’s High Performance culture, mentors the current and identifies and develops the next generation of Dyson design leadership through the Design Lead and Design Manager roles.
- Key influencer at Head of Department level. Drives accountabilities at a senior leadership level across RDD, Ops & Commercial through the Technical, Phase and Milestone review process.
- Demonstrates a high level of emotional intelligence to inspire, influence and support the global cross team to align and deliver complex technology with market leading claims against extremely challenging timelines.
- Facilitates and encourages global collaboration and communication.
- Takes an active lead across RDD, Operations & Commercial, driving the global cross team to best practice whilst balancing risk to delivery, loss of opportunity to the business and impact to the customer.
- Uses Head of position to influence Commercial direction regarding product understanding, creative, claims and launch.
- Uses Head of position to influence Operational direction regarding production engineering, critical quality and procurement strategy, manufacturing execution and supply chain planning.
- Uses Head of position to influence research, user, insights and engineering home trials. Proposes when and how trials can be executed to resolve critical to product and customer questions through efficient execution.
- Champions a change culture inside and outside of Category. Regularly and proactively improves cross team ways of working both internal and external to RDD.
- Plays a central role in the definition and execution of local and global product development change initiatives.
- Consistently acts to galvanise the local category and engineering teams through engagement, inclusion and first-class communication.
- Anticipates risk and drives a culture of anticipating risk.
- Actively manages resource, sets targets and delivers year on year efficiencies across project OPEX and CAPEX.
- Maintains an active involvement with the intellectual property and legal teams in assessing and escalating potential exposure to Dyson on behalf of New Category.
- Globally mobile to support category activity i.e. leadership offsite, trial, critical review, product launch and in-market activities.
- A natural leader with a well-developed knowledge and understanding of engineering, consumer product and category development within a global organisation.
- A proven track record in managing technical programs and delivering complex projects to time, specification, cost and quality.
- Full design cycle experience - has played a key role in projects from early concept to start of production, global experience of site to site project transfers.
- Experience of mechanical, electrical, motor and battery integration into a robust systems architecture.
- Strong manufacturing assembly experience including tolerance and dimensional stability, build standards and change control.
- Confidence to prepare and lead key design and delivery reviews across all RDD levels, to James Dyson, to Jake Dyson and the board.
- Facility to create or deepen existing knowledge of current and future New Category technology.
- Strong leadership background, with previous experience of managing and motivating a large global team, consistently achieving stretched targets to high standards.
- Globally aware with an aptitude to deliver through others on multiple time zones.
- Highly effective communications skills - ability to convey complex issues concisely and accurately.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, emotionally intelligent with strong ability to build productive working relationships and influence at all levels.
- Adept at prioritising activities across multiple projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Capacity to manage the expectations of their Category VP whilst delivering.
- Credibility to lead unplanned, unbudgeted high priority cross functional change projects prior to or during production.
- Natural ability to identify capability gaps, coach and develop people and establish strong succession plans.
- Resilient, Dedicated, dynamic, data driven, numerate and prepared to do what it takes to get the job done.
- Experienced in continuous improvement, history of identifying change programs ahead of the curve, taking responsibility and leading by example.
- Has represented Dyson externally to third parties or via product launch events.