- Quality and Reliability
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re driven by progress and thrive on the challenge of relentless improvement. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our engineering approach starts with different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling
to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way. Today we employ more than 5,800 people around the world in software engineering, mechanical engineering and science-related roles.
About the role
As the Head of Product Safety and Risk Management, reporting into the Chief Quality Officer, you will be responsible for all aspects of product safety and risk assessment both as part of the product creation process (Embedded Safety) and for products in market (Field Safety). Working as part of a matrix organisation within the Quality, Safety and Sustainability function you will manage a team comprising of Safety Managers, Safety Specialists, Safety Engineers and Quality Management Specialists in the UK and South East Asia.
- Lead a global team of Safety Managers, Safety Specialists, Safety Engineers and Quality Management Specialists across multiple international sites.
- Drive a Product Safety and Product Risk Management agenda across all product categories and all global markets through developing effective and influential relationships across Engineering, Manufacturing Operations, Quality, Legal and Commercial departments.
- Support the generation and perpetuation of a healthy Product Safety Culture throughout the business, bridging department/team borders and geographical locations with a ‘One Team’ spirit in line with Dyson Behaviours.
- Manage team performance & development, training, morale, headcount, recruitment and budget.
- Set the tone & character of your team through personal example and provide mentoring/coaching to individuals inside and outside your direct reporting line.
For Embedded Safety and Risk Management:
- Ensure a product safety focused process is embedded
and implemented within the overall Dyson product creation system to ensure :
- Clear safety targets are set
- All safety related risks and failure modes are identified and counter-measured before new product release
- Ensure accurate and timely status reporting of safety and risk related deliverables at project Milestones
- Ensure all safety risks are mitigated before proceeding through the milestone
- Where product type dictates, develop and ensure implementation of a Quality Management System that complies to required ISO standard requirements
- Lead Functional Safety process adherence and deliverable assurance
For Field Safety:
- For all products in market ensure regular monitoring of all safety related product defects as reported by consumers and other stakeholders
- Be aware of all local market regulatory requirements regarding safety reporting and actions required
- Establish strong working relationship with in-market regulatory bodies and liaise with Market Quality and Safety representatives to facilitate the above
- Implement at suitable escalation process to govern the above
- Understanding of electrical and electronic consumer goods global safety regulations
- Experience of implementing QMS and Risk Management processes e.g. ISO9001
- Multi-site, multi-country experience with the ability to lead and coach a high-performing, diverse and multi-cultural team.
- Ability to plan and act strategically to maintain a high level of Product Safety in all global markets.
- Clear & calm thinker with the ability to work within, or quickly adapt to, Dyson’s fast-paced and flexible culture.
- Strength of character to act as an ambassador for a Culture of Product Safety within Dyson, challenging multi-disciplinary teams & individuals while also remaining relevant and approachable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, in order to guide decision-making and leverage external resources.
- Ability to work with data to answer questions and support arguments.
- Strong verbal/written presentation & communication skills.
- Strong commercial awareness with an interest in the wider Dyson business and industry.
- Ability to interact credibly at executive level and inspire confidence.
- Experience of Dyson’s products, key markets and market offices is beneficial to, but not a necessity for, this role.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.