- Energy storage
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Dyson’s interest in researching and developing energy storage technologies started more than a decade ago, when it became apparent that the full potential of our DDM motors were starting to be held back by commercially available batteries. Fast-forward to 2021, and we now have over 100 scientists and engineers working on battery R&D across our labs in the UK, US and Singapore.
With multiple generations of Dyson battery technologies ranging from early research through the industrialisation phase, Dyson are recruiting a wide range of roles across their UK and Singapore labs to accelerate progress. These roles include materials scientists, electrochemists, cell design engineers, cell test technicians, cell assembly technicians, mechanical design engineers, manufacturing process development engineers and manufacturing technologists. We are recruiting at all levels of seniority up to senior technical leadership roles.
About the roleDyson requires a skilled and highly motivated test technician to help it achieve its battery ambitions and support its RDD characterisation activities.
- Set up and run testing to support performance, lifetime, safety and mechanical characterisation of battery cells.
- Take responsibility for hands on tasks including the production of small to medium sized parts and rigs for testing.
- Take responsibility for calibration and service schedule of lab equipment.
- Programme battery cyclers, thermal chambers and battery abuse testing rigs
- Support with the development of test methodology, including the design and optimisation of Jigs and equipment where necessary.
- Collate and manage data, generate summary test reports.
- Characterise test error of repeated tests – develop solutions to improve test accuracy as and when needed
- Manage all the relevant documents; process, COSHH, methodology and data records are updated as required.
- Ensure safe disassembly of test samples after cycling and equipment is maintained in a good state of health.
- Manage monitoring and replenishment of lab consumables items as required.
- Manage with safe disposal and storage of spent chemicals and test samples.
- Take responsibility for organising routine maintenance, stock checks and replenishment and ordering of laboratory consumables.
- Experience of working in a workshop environment
- Hardworking and keen to learn
- Good track record for attention to detail
- Methodical approach to work
- Good organisational and planning skills
- Strong problem solving skills exemplified by the ability to diagnose and rectify problems
- Good written and verbal communication
- An understanding and experience of good lab practice, including health and safety, COSHH and risk assessments
- Excellent analytical ability and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
- Ability to identify and solve problems independently
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks
- Excellent team working skills.
- Degree in a physical science discipline (e.g. Physics; Electrical Engineering; Chemistry)
- Experience of working in laboratory environment
- Ideally experience working in a battery testing environment
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Lift share scheme
- Discount on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.