- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented lead Electronics Engineer specialising in Sensors Systems within the Technical Research team. Candidates with experience in gas, particulate, multispectral or hyperspectral sensing are encouraged to apply.
The Technical Research team is responsible for a number of disciplines, including sensor system design, signal conditioning, real-time embedded software and microprocessor selection for a variety of projects at a research stage. The team work with several of the New Product Innovation Teams, including Floor Care, Environmental Control, New Category and Hair Care, to deliver technologies into our ever-expanding product portfolio. The work often involves shorter-term projects targeting specific products, alongside longer-term research projects. Technologies transfer to the downstream development teams once they reach suitable maturity.
The team is responsible for identifying key sensor technologies to explore, working with our technology scouting team, as well as identifying areas where we can patent and develop our technology. The team will work with the Embedded Electronics Software and Mechanical engineers, also within Technical Research, to bring to life complete sensor systems from signal acquisition, conditioning and algorithmic processing for use in our products and test rigs.
About the roleApplicants should be proficient in creating and developing sensor hardware or algorithms, with particular focus on gas, particulate and multi-spectral or Hyperspectral sensing.
The role involves:
- Owning the sensor hardware, algorithm(s) and/or software architecture in certain sensor projects.
- Working with the different sub teams within Technical Research, as well as NPI, Technology Scouting, other research groups and development teams to gain an in-depth product understanding, while using your expert knowledge of the latest sensor technologies to identify technology uses and develop innovative solutions.
- Working with the other disciplines to solve complex system level problems and find hardware and software solutions.
- Developing concepts and demonstrating designs are robust and viable for use in product through detailed simulation and laboratory testing, prior to handover to the development teams.
- Ensuring all requirements and architecture details are fully documented at the appropriate milestones.
- Generation of suitable test specifications to ensure product reliability and robustness at key stages prior to handover to the development teams.
- This potentially includes the development of test environments including simulation, emulation and hardware/test equipment interactions.
- Pulling together review packs which typically include concept specifications, requirements and specification documentation, risk registers, FMEAs and design guides.
- Working with third parties to identify suitable technologies and bringing those technologies to life in our products.
- Researching into new and emerging technologies through visiting conferences, trade shows, meeting suppliers, reading through papers and patents.
About youEducation and experience:
- BEng/MEng degree in Electronic Engineering, BSc/MSc in Physics or other relevant discipline, or a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry.
- A candidate should be able to demonstrate proficiency in sensor hardware or algorithm design and test.
- The team is a research team and candidates should be able to demonstrate an ability to innovate and research (e.g. through patent publications, papers, developing new technologies etc).
- We are looking for applicants with knowledge of sensors that can be used in a variety of projects and not necessarily in existing categories you would expect from Dyson.
- Candidates with expertise in gas, particulate, multispectral/hyperspectral sensing, including hardware design or algorithm design, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience of physical characterisation of sensors.
- In-depth knowledge of circuit theory and design of analogue signal conditioning and digital signal processing techniques.
- Knowledge of semiconductor design, schematic capture and PCB layout using electronic CAD tools.
- Simulation and analysis using Matlab or Python and SPICE based tools
- Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation.
- Familiar with creating requirement documents.
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment and developing test rigs and test methods.
- Use of lab equipment to set up experiments and to take precise measurements
- Ability to build and manage supplier relationships. Ability to generate task lists and timelines to help build project plans and manage risk in projects.
- Essential behavioural skills: Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format to engineers and up to executive level. Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
- Ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
- Excellent team working skills.
- Experience of FPGA design (Verilog/VHDL).
- Knowledge of microcontrollers, preferably including ARM Cortex M series.
- Knowledge of embedded C programming
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.