- Motors and Power Systems, Mechanical Engineering, Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Reporting to the Mechanical Manager, you will join a growing team of multi-disciplined engineers in Dyson’s Technical Research Group focusing on the next generation of advanced / high performance electric motors for new and existing categories demonstrating new core technology and a complete system design approach.
The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to integrating thermal, mechanical, aerodynamic and electromagnetic concepts while considering the impact on performance and cost.
• Stretch the boundaries of speed, power/torque density and efficiency in electric motor systems in a number of different applications
• Develop energy storage solutions with world leading levels of energy density
• Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry.
• Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each project that would make a great product
• Deliver solutions that are reliable and fit for purpose to satisfy life requirements and to help achieve product guarantee periods and comply with all relevant International Standards
• Generate innovative / novel solutions with strong / high value IP for Dyson products
Education and experience:
• Minimum BEng/MEng degree (2:1 degree or better) in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of thermal systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
Specification, Analysis & Design:
• Significant experience in the design and analysis of thermal systems, including Finite Element & Computational Fluid Dynamics techniques.
• Breadth of experience covering component thermal design through to full system.
• Ability to simplify a complex problem into mathematical models and perform preliminary performance prediction, analysis and design recommendation
• Good understanding of statistics and the ability to use these as a tool in engineering decision making
• Experience in a broad range of heat management technologies
• Ability to use 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages
• Appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, mechanical, electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
• Ability to specify system components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
• Quality processes including DFMEA, DoE, failure analysis/problem solving capability
Test and Validation:
• Ability to devise lab based measurement techniques and have a strong command of analysis software and equipment for component and system level characterisation and validation
• Ability to work across a number of different projects and platforms simultaneously
• Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver high performance and reliable system solutions meeting cost, size and time requirements
• Knowledge of manufacturing techniques of parts (moulding / machining) and common issues with these plus experience in manual and automated assembly techniques
• Appreciation of complying with National, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation.
• Thermal analysis of batteries and/or electronic systems
• Rotating Machinery design and heat management strategies