- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Lead Power Electronics Engineer in the Technical Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Dyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The Technical Research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate from the competition and be ahead of the times.
A successful applicant be part of the team designing the next generation of power electronic systems for our products. The power electronics team in Technical Research is responsible for a number of disciplines, including:
Motor inverter hardware for motor systems that can operate in excess of 100,000rpm
Power supply design - DC-DC and AC-DC designs
Battery management systems - design of Lithium-Ion battery management systems for a variety of products and cell pack structures, as well as development of new battery management system for emerging cell technologies
Heater control systems and protection
About the roleKey responsibilities
• The design of motor inverters and control for brushless DC, servo and stepper motors.
• The design of heater control hardware and associated protection systems.
• Ensuring designs can comply with relevant EMC/EMI standards and modifying design where needed to ensure this is the case.
• Thermal management design of power electronics systems
• Design of both mains and battery powered electronics to meet global requirements.
• Working with different product teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative power electronics systems and solutions.
• Research into new technology and investigating ways of incorporating this technology into future products.
• Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility
• Produce clear, well written documentation prior to handover to the development teams
• Take technical responsibility for motor drive, heater control and associated power electronics content of a project. This may expand to the responsibility for multiple small concurrent projects, supported by a number of team members.
• Demonstrate designs are safe, robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis
• Assist in the personal development of junior team members.
Qualifications, skills and behaviours
• Minimum BEng/MEng degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline
• Experience in motor inverter design and motor control, particularly brushless DC motors, servo or stepper motors
• General knowledge of power electronic devices, including silicon based IGBTs, MOSFETs and wide bandgap technologies
• Understanding of device characteristics and issues with switching behaviour in real circuits, as well as power switch driver design
• Knowledge and experience of using power hybrid modules and power SoC modules (e.g. drivers and power switches in one device)
• Thermal management approaches for surface mount and through hole devices
• SMPS and linear regulator power supply design
Essential behavioural skills:
• The ability to take a leadership position within a project
• Good analytical ability and attention to detail
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format to engineers and up to executive level.
• Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values
• Ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
• Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks
• Excellent team working skills.
Benefits•27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
•Performance related bonus
•Private medical insurance
•Free on-site parking
•Subsidised café and restaurants
•Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.