- Energy storage, Manufacturing and tooling, Mechanical Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
There is a requirement for a Process Development Team Leader / Principal Engineer to join the solid state batteries team to further develop the processes required to progress technology established in research through to pilot scale manufacture.
Whilst technical expertise is core to this role, it is also important that the individual is a strong and skilful leader, with the ability to operate as an equal with the senior management team, collaboratively driving the program forwards though strategic thinking and objective decision making, as well as sound technical judgement.
Reporting to the head of the energy storage development team, the role sits within the leadership team which is collectively responsible for the success of Energy Storage at Dyson. It is hence important that the individual operates at a level of seniority to contribute to, and take ownership of strategic and operational responsibilities that may be beyond the immediate area.
Applicants for this particular role must have significant experience in the aforementioned areas, specifically to the development of critical processes ready for pilot scale manufacture. This role will involve
• The review of unit operations and processes that have been identified at a research level and the development of these to reliable and reproducible process steps
• The development of innovative new technologies that can be incorporated into the manufacturing processes to give a performance, cost or environmental advantage.
• To lead, develop and guide a small team of dedicated engineers within critical path projects into delivering reliable, well thought-through and executed solutions for manufacture.
o Prototype solutions for trial & verification o Development of Economic, Yield, Waste, Environmental and Performance benefits
o Hands-on Problem solving / Engineering as well as detailed calculations and supporting documentation
• Pragmatic approach, instinctively making sound value judgments to get the required result
• To lead development projects with partners and collaborators for the prototyping and engineering of equipment.
• Works effectively across boundaries and geographies
As a senior employee, the successful applicant would be expected to :
• Recruitment, motivation and direction of a highly technical engineering team
• Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility
• Prove the production intent solution and create suitable documentation prior to handover to the manufacturing teams and partners
• Demonstrate solutions are safe, robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis
• Assist in the personal development of junior team members.
Essential Experience & Behaviors
• Degree in a scientific or engineering discipline
• > 5 Years’ direct experience operating within a senior process development
• Hands on Engineering, demonstrated solving problems in a time and value critical way
• Team management – Has formed and developed a high performing team culture.
• Project progression – Has demonstrated taken a product/idea/process from research (early phase) through to prototype on a number of occasions
Initiative - a self-starter who is able to change direction and scope, in alignment with strategic direction
Creative - able to architect ideas from a blank sheet of paper to detailed design
Excellent root cause analysis and problem solving ability
Proactively collaborates across teams and functions - an ambassador for collaboration
• Design & construction of development and Pilot-Line equipment
o Batch & continuous processes (Roll to Roll)
o Multi-stage unit operations; timings & work-flow
o Hazardous & complex environments, (e.g. dry / explosive / particulate / vapour)
• Automation, Electronics & Controls
• Construction of test facilities - Metal working, assembly, design (CAD), electronics
• Data acquisition & Processing – Scientific in understanding but engineering in mind-set.
o Proficient in MS Office including Excel o Statistical process control – Lean Six Sigma type approaches.
• High tech performance materials Process development
• 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
• Pension scheme
• Performance related bonus
• Life assurance
• Sport centre
• Free on-site parking
• Subsidized café and restaurants
• Discounts on Dyson machines