- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
The Technical Research team is responsible for a number of disciplines, including motor drive design, heater control, battery management software, and sensor systems, all of which use real-time embedded software. The team work with several of the New Product Innovation Teams, including Floor Care, Environmental Control, New Category and Hair Care, to deliver technologies into our ever-expanding product portfolio.
The work often involves shorter-term projects targeting specific products, alongside longer-term research projects. Technologies transfer to the downstream development teams once they reach suitable maturity.
About the roleThe team is looking for a Lead Embedded Software Engineer with experience in motor control to join the team.
- Applicants should be proficient in creating and developing embedded software with particular focus on motor control.
- The role involves: Working with the different sub teams within Technical Research, as well as New Product Innovation, other research groups and development teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using your expert knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative systems and solutions.
- Producing high quality software for embedded platforms, including RTOS and bare metal based systems.
- Developing scripts and tools to automate testing of software.
- Developing software for demonstration rigs to convey ideas to others. Implementing various control algorithms on embedded systems, along with modelling and analysis of algorithms on Windows or Linux based hosts.
- Producing well-structured software for transfer to the downstream development teams at particular milestones.
- Contributing to software review activities
- Documenting software requirements and architecture details.
- Contributing to review packs for project milestone and update reviews.
- The review packs typically include concept specifications, requirement and specification documentation, risk registers, FMEAs and design guides.
- Researching into new and emerging technologies.<
About youMinimum Bachelors degree in Computing Science, Electronic and Computer Engineering, or other relevant discipline with industrial experience in a relevant industry. Experience of brushless motor drive systems.
Minimum technical knowledge:
- In-depth knowledge of common software design methodologies and embedded software development in C/C++.
- Familiar with the requirements for real time embedded software applications and demonstrable experience of working within real time constraints.
- Knowledge of Linux and FreeRTOS based systems.
- Ability to derive software requirements from product level requirements and derive own requirements when limited information is available. microcontroller-based motor control systems and associated power systems
- Significant experience of developing for ARM platforms including Cortex M series devices.
- In depth understanding and application of version control systems.
- Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation.
- Familiar with creating requirement documents.
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment.
- Use of lab equipment to set up experiments and to take precise measurements.
- Ability to manage several projects running concurrently.
- Experience of working with external suppliers and building/maintaining supplier relationships.
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format to engineers and up to executive level.
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
- Ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
- Additional experience that is desirable: Knowledge of Python / Matlab scripting
- Developing low level device driver software
- Knowledge of a wide range of communication interfaces including I2C, SPI, UART desirable
- Practical experience of building and testing electronic hardware will be beneficial
- Experience of heater control, lithium-ion battery management or sensor systems.
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
Performance related bonus
Private medical insurance
Free on-site parking
Subsidised café and restaurants
Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.