- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We start with an engineering mindset and different thinking, then continuously refine our ideas, unwilling to compromise until we’ve found a better way.
About the role
Within Dyson Research we define what’s next. At the very start of the new product ideas chain lays the technologies that enable them. Dyson Research delivers the long term support to the global company growth through technology innovation in our state of the art Wiltshire campuses. Our New Product Innovation team relies on the development of key technologies for new innovative products, after which the New Product Development team carries them through to manufacturing; Dyson Research not only delivers the birth of new technologies but also supports those technologies through to their realisation and integration within a product.
You will be responsible for scoping, researching and delivering thermodynamic technologies that will enable the next generation of Dyson Environmental Care machines. You will use engineering analysis, experimentation and system design to deliver product focussed technologies in partnership with our New Product Innovation teams. You will be required to work both autonomously and as part of a multi-disciplinary team to deliver against Dysons ambitious goals.
• Fundamental research into concepts relating to thermodynamics and heat transfer.
• Apply fundamental understanding to help set the direction of research and guide emerging product concepts.
• Explore and introduce the latest simulation techniques to the Dyson product design process.
• Pioneer experimental work to demonstrate ground breaking technologies and inspire future products.
• Develop and deliver next-gen technologies in tandem with New Product Innovation design engineers.
• Work autonomously to scope and deliver product focused technology concepts.
• Conduct/support research with external institutes and universities toward future technology and capability development.
• Design, build, and test candidate technologies, and disseminate knowledge to groups varying from graduates to directors.
• Prepare technical documentation to record and disseminate research.
• Present concepts, analysis and designs to senior stakeholders.
About youQualifications, skills and behaviours• Strong engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering, other disciplines with relevant experience will be considered.
• A strong foundation in fluid flow and heat transfer including a working knowledge of multiphase fluid flow and heat transfer.
• Experience in assessing and designing thermodynamics cycles.
• Experience in design, build and test of fundamental rigs as well as product representative prototypes.
• 1D system modelling experience is desirable.
• Working knowledge of LabView, Matlab, and Python (or alternative coding languages) is desirable.
• A self-starter able to scope, plan and manage their own time is essential.
• Must be a clear communicator with great presentation skills.
Benefits•27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
•Performance related bonus
•Private medical insurance
•Free on-site parking
•Subsidised café and restaurants
•Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.