- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
About the roleAn exciting opportunity has arisen to work within our Motors, Power and Electronic Systems Development Team to apply unique skills and experience to deliver our next generation motors and integrate them into future products.
As a Senior Aerodynamic Engineer, you will use analytical techniques to add insight into experimental results, to drive early development concepts and support projects. In addition, you will be expected to continually improve and develop experimental techniques and design methodologies, to further enhance the capabilities of our team and Dyson as a whole. The Senior Aerodynamics Engineer will be expected to take proactive approach in identifying and evaluating new motor technologies, specifically taking a leading role in the areas of turbo machinery aerodynamics, aero-acoustics and thermal management.
You will be responsible to develop motors aerodynamic systems to achieve robustness and high performance. You will make sure the aerodynamic performance is maintained throughout the development process from concept to production and beyond. You will ensure there is a smooth transition of projects from development to manufacturing and provide any required support afterwards. You will also be involved in aero-acoustic and noise reduction activities of the aero system and motor providing unique solutions for the low noise motors.
You will be required to:
• Deliver product focused motor aerodynamics to support development of new generation Dyson Digital Motors.• Generate innovative concepts for new technologies through detailed aero and thermal numerical analysis. • Experimentally validate aerodynamic systems, thoroughly analyse test results, summarise findings and communicate to other members of project team, ensuring all work is documented.• Liaise with internal research teams to ensure effective project transfers and integration of technology into future product.• Provide design advice and guidance to design managers and product teams, taking a lead role and responsibility for the areas of aerodynamic design of the motor, fluid flow and thermal management. Support this advice through experimental validation and other relevant analysis methods and tools (including CFD).• Build and maintain effective working relationships with design engineers at all levels, including the relevant technical teams in the Far East (travelling may be required)• Work closely with the other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned project timeline.
- Degree or Masters in Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent (other relevant engineering disciplines will be considered). Turbomachinery experience would be advantageous.
- Fundamental knowledge of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics.
- Experience in using commercial CAD tools, preferably Siemens NX.
- A good understanding of the principles and application of CFD, with previous experience in using ANSYS / NUMECA / CONCEPTS tools.
- Good understanding of experimental techniques, particularly with regard to pressure, temperature and flow measurement.
- Be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
- A good working knowledge of MS Office and ideally high-level programming knowledge such as use of MATLAB.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information, both in writing and verbally.
- Excellent team-working skills.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.