- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
A rare in-house opportunity: the Group Operations & Projects team in Dyson Legal is looking for a commercial litigation lawyer to support Dyson Legal’s new and innovative global Centre of Excellence for Product Litigation function and, specifically, its Advertising and Product Liability Litigation team based in the UK.
AccountabilitiesA great example of the output of the Dyson “behaviours” (Different/Authentic/Better), the fruition of the Centre of Excellence for Product Litigation provides a one-stop shop for all of the business’s product litigation needs; ranging from IP, advertising and product liability litigation, enquires and strategy. As part of the Advertising and Product Liability Litigation team, the focus of the role will be to support all advertising and product liability related matters across the globe.
Despite being based in the UK, this legal counsel role will involve the delivery of support and strategic legal advice in relation to Dyson’s world-wide product litigation strategy; contributing to the wider business’s ever-growing commercial success and brand protection. The successful candidate will have the coveted opportunity to work with Dyson’s commercial, marketing and legal teams across the world, and build knowledge in relation to the applicable law in other jurisdictions - which makes this a truly exciting role. The team’s global reach and deliverables could also result in an opportunity for travel.
As part of a new function, the role offers an exciting opportunity to be part of, and to shape, the future of the Centre of Excellence for Product Litigation; as well as the ability to gain an in-depth understanding of Dyson’s unique and exciting technology.
The role requires the successful candidate to provide the following legal services:
- Provide strategic, commercial legal advice in relation to product liability and safety matters;
- Provide strategic legal advice in relation to advertising challenges and authority investigations (for and against Dyson);
- Support with the litigation strategy and gathering of the relevant evidence and information required in support;
- Prepare clear, succinct, written legal advice summaries at key decision-making stages of the ligation in order for the business to make informed decisions;
- Support with any local authority (or similar) enquiry relating to Dyson’s advertising and/or product liability and gathering the relevant information/evidence in support;
- Provide training on key learnings obtained from advertising and product liability litigation/enquiries to Commercial, Marketing, Sales and Research, Design and Development (RDD) teams;
- Inform the New Projects & Regulatory (NPR) legal team, who advise on pre-launch products and advertising strategy, of any litigation risks which may have an impact on future products and advertising claims.
SkillsThe successful candidate will have a minimum of 1-4 years’ post qualification experience in a commercial litigation role, ideally with a product/advertising/manufacturing focus. In-house exposure during or post training is a definite advantage.
You will also come with a solid background in commercial litigation, together with the ability to apply that knowledge in a practical and pragmatic way. An understanding of basic product liability and advertising law principles is a must. It should be no surprise that we're looking for you to hold, at the very least, an interest in technology, design and engineering - as well as the aptitude to learn to understand technical discussions. You will need to be versatile, with an inquisitive mind and the confidence to learn quickly on the job.
It's important at Dyson that our Legal Counsel's have the ability to undertake legal risk assessments and provide clear and commercial advice on risks identified and recommended strategies in a pragmatic way.
Due to Dyson's pace and fast-changing culture (which surprises everyone when they start), it's imperative that you can work with a minimum level of supervision. We will support you completely but you'll need to be comfortable challenging decisions when required, adapting your communication and interacting with the business at all levels (including the Executive Team) to build effective relationships and earn credibility across the business.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines