- Energy storage
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson requires a skilled and highly motivated Research Scientist to help it achieve its current and long term battery ambitions and support its RDD lab activities
AccountabilitiesReporting to the Mechanical Research Manager, you will join a growing team of chemists, physicists and engineers in Dyson’s Strategy & Research Group. Your focus will be to understand and investigate the principles which govern the operation of next generation battery systems.
• Have the ability to understand what contributes to and effects the energy density of lithium ion batteries.
• Apply your knowledge to understand the limits on electrolyte materials performance.
• Deliver new materials to act as electrolytes in in lithium ion batteries.
• Synthesise and modify polymeric materials for lithium ion battery.
• Be able to characterise prepared materials with techniques to confirm purity, composition and structure.
• Be able to characterise the electrochemical behaviour of these materials in cells. • Interpret these results to generate models of understanding.
SkillsEducation and experience:
• Minimum degree (2:1 degree or better) in Chemistry, Materials or equivalent with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems. • Experience with polymer chemistry.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
- Have experience in the synthesis of polymeric materials.
- Knowledge of the mechanism of ionic mobility.
- Have a deep knowledge of one or several of the following characterisation methodologies: X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, Electrochemistry, Thermogravimetric analysis, X-ray Absorbtion Spectroscopy, Resonant Inelastic Xray Scattering, electrochemical online mass spectroxcopy.
- Expert knowledge of organic chemistry.
- Expert knowledge of electrochemistry.
- Ability to specify testing conditions and plan experimental procedure.
• Test and Validation:
Ability to devise lab based measurement techniques and have a strong command of analysis software and equipment for component and system level characterisation and validation.
Ability to design and execute material testing, including composite materials.
• Experience within the battery research field.
• Evidence of conference attendance