- Motors and Power Systems, Mechanical Engineering, Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world-class research, design and development (RDD) department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
About the roleSupport the Motors & Power Systems Research Team in the evolution of new and existing products, specifically taking a role in the mechanical engineering and design of our high-speed electric motors. The Mechanical Research Engineer will be expected to take a proactive approach in identifying and evaluating new opportunities across a spectrum of areas focusing on the mechanical design of high-speed turbomachinery. Key activities will also include developing state-of-the-art validation test rigs with associated data acquisition and post-processing tools.
- Play a key role in the design and optimisation of both the preliminary and the detailed stages of new motor systems, focusing on achieving robust mechanical solutions considering mass manufacturing.
- Develop new technologies and processes in the mechanical design of turbomachinery generating high-value IP concepts enabling the next generation of motors.
- Lead the development of high-quality working prototypes and validation test rigs for the team adhering to well defined design requirements and rationale.
- Ownership of a sensors and test rig database with associated user guides.
- Present findings and communicate to other members of RDD including senior managers and directors.
- Liaise with development teams to ensure effective transfer of technology into future product range.
- A degree (2:1 or higher) in Mechanical Engineering, or other relevant engineering discipline.
- Working knowledge and experience in the design mechanical systems from early stage concepts to working prototypes with mass manufacturing in mind.
- Capable of working to, and ideally, setting design requirements for mechanical systems.
- Highly skilled in the use of Siemens NX (or similar CAD packages) and generating engineering drawings to GD & T standards.
- Capable of developing high standard experimental test programmes, including rig builds, with an appreciation of key control parameters.
- Good understanding and experience of integrating a range of sensors such as load cells, accelerometers, temperature probes, flow meters etc. would be a benefit.
- Knowledge of data acquisition, test automation and implementation (MATLAB, LabView, Siemens Test.Lab preferred but not essential) to generate in-house tools.
- Capable of performing preliminary scoping calculations with an appreciation for Finite Element Modelling of mechanical systems would be an advantage.
- Flexible and efficient approach to problem solving, using the appropriate level of detail at each stage.
- Capable of working methodically to a brief but willing to challenge convention where possible.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
- Excellent team-working skills.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.