- SGD Competitive Salary
- Motors and Power Systems
- Pioneer Crescent, Singapore - Singapore
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals for a permanent Motor Drives Engineer position in Singapore.
Being part of the team working on the Dyson Digital Motor, this role will focus on the analysis and final production design of power electronic drives, motors and control systems to ensure seamless integration into destination products. Working independently and liaising with the product, production and UK design teams you will ensure that work packages are correctly specified before carrying out design, analysis and validation to help ensure that the final product meets its performance specification.
Based in Dyson’s Singapore Advanced Manufacturing facility you will be joining the Dyson Digital Motor Drives (DDMD) team within the Dyson Global Electronics organisation. The DDMD team form part of the wider Motors and Power Systems Group and is a significant part of Dyson RDD with a growing team of more than 100 highly skilled engineers, scientists and technicians in its UK and Singapore offices. The Group focuses on researching and developing cutting-edge electric motors, drives and control systems for integration into existing and future Dyson products from concept design to fully automated production.
- Working closely with the UK members of the DDMD team you will provide support through both development and production phases of projects to help ensure that the Dyson Digital Motor or product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project.
- Be responsible for system characterisation and analysis such as hardware validation, control system validation, thermal mapping and user interaction.
- Complete analysis of production data, particularly from trial builds from motor and product manufacturing facilities to identify drift, issues, non-compliance and opportunities for process improvement and optimisation.
- Working with the Dyson Operation teams to be responsible for aspects of design, commissioning and trouble-shooting of complex production end of line test, tune, product calibration systems and functional testers as required by any new motor or product projects.
- Working with contract suppliers on Design for Manufacture and the correct supply of assemblies such as PCBAs during the development phases of projects ensuring that parts are delivered on time and to specification.
- Work closely with the test and validation teams in our Malaysia facility in Johor to develop test methods and ensure the correct operation of test equipment to ensure the accuracy and validity of testing.
- Responsible for Motor Drives aspects of FRACAS: completing root cause analysis of any failures of the motor or associated drive and control system at both product and motor level.
- Generate high-quality test reports and other documentation with all data and findings from all work undertaken.
- Be free to travel on a frequent basis between Singapore and our Malaysia office to support test and complete FRACAS investigation work.
- Assist, or lead where required, other engineers within the team with the creation and review of documents such as design schematics, design notes, FMEA, Failure analysis reports, technical review documents and part approval to ensure the lessons learned from manufacturing are captured.
- Be free to occasionally travel to the UK for assisting with project development, project transfer or training activities.
- Be able to apply your skills to other areas of work and tasks within the business as may be required of you on occasion for the benefit of the wider team. This could include, but is not limited to, supplier liaison for issue resolution or audit, engineering design work, test rig building and production equipment commissioning.
- Strong communication and team working skills to be able to form a bridge between multiple teams of different disciplines working on a single, integrated product across multiple global sites.
- Design knowledge, formal training and experience in a range of aspects of electronics including some of: power electronics, motor control, battery management, analogue, digital and sensing technologies.
- Working knowledge of schematic capture, PCB layout and associated software.
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of basic electromagnetic machine operation particularly single and multi-phase permanent magnet motors.
- An appreciation of motor control techniques for low and high speed, single-phase and multi-phase permanent magnet motors.
- Strong technical analysis skills and an ability to use standard laboratory equipment to set up experiments and to take precise measurements of motors and mains-referenced control systems to aid performance analysis, fault-finding and completion of GR&R testing.
- Strong statistical analysis skills to be able to gather data from multiple sources, including your own testing, to calculate such things as trends, drifts and probabilities to identify performance against specification or to show where things are starting to go wrong.
- Be flexible and open-minded to respond quickly to changes in project priorities. Be able to demonstrate sound theoretical knowledge, reasoning and problem solving skills in engineering.
- Be able to clearly report progress in meetings together with producing a high standard of documentation.
- Proactive and persistent nature demonstrated by an inquisitive approach.
- Be a creative thinker and problem solver; highly self-motivated and self-reliant with enthusiasm for motors, power systems and Dyson products.
- A good first degree in electrical/electronic engineering or equivalent, preferably with power electronics, machines, drives or control systems bias.
- For applicants from non-English speaking countries, proficiency in spoken and written English is mandatory.