- £ Competitive
- Motors and Power Systems, Electronics, Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
The Electronic Systems Research Team is expanding this year to over 50 heads. The team works across several product categories and is involved a range of technologies including power electronics, embedded electronics, sensors and software. We work very closely with the New Product Innovation (NPI) teams and deliver technologies into new products during the research phase. A successful candidate will be leading a team working to generate new ideas and technologies to enable specific product features, as well as researching into future technologies.
Some of the technology areas covered includes:
- AC-DC and DC-DC conversion up to 3kW
- High speed motor drive design
- Battery management systems
- Heater control
- Microcontroller selection and software for the above, including control algorithm implementation
- Sensor selection for a variety of areas
About the role
- Managing a team of engineers to deliver power system projects to our development teams, ensuring team philosophies and working practices are applied to a project.
- Working with different sub-teams within Technical Research, as well as New Product Innovation, other research groups and development teams to gain an in depth product understanding, whilst using your expert knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative systems and solutions and solve complex system level problems.
- Demonstrate designs are robust and viable for use in product through laboratory testing and driving the team to develop simulations to optimise designs.
- Hardware design review activities (schematic reviews and pre/post PCB layout reviews).
- Ensure electronic requirements and architecture details are documented by the team.
- Managing technical risks in a project through FMEAs.
- Produce and present review packs which typically include concept specifications, requirements and specification documentation, risk registers, FMEAs and design guides when needed.
- Researching into new and emerging technologies through visiting conferences, trade shows, meeting suppliers, reading papers and patents.
- Identify emerging IP and ensure inventions are submitted to the IP team.
- Ensuring the team generates suitable test specifications to ensure product reliability, safety and robustness. This includes the development of test environments including simulation, emulation and hardware/test equipment interactions.
About youBEng/MEng degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (or equivalent), or other relevant discipline and a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry.
You should be able to demonstrate an ability to research, innovate, as well as being a key contributor to strengthening the culture of innovation within the team and wider department.
As well as specialising in power electronics for this role and have a broad knowledge of electronics you ideally will have experience of people management.
Minimum technical knowledge:
- Power Electronics:
- Experience in motor inverter design and motor control, particularly brushless DC motors, servo or stepper motors - as well as experience of power converter design.
- General knowledge of power electronic devices and modules, including silicon based IGBTs, MOSFETs and wide bandgap technologies.
- Understanding of device characteristics and issues with switching behaviour in real circuits, as well as power switch driver design.
- Thermal management approaches for surface mount and through hole devices.
- PCB layout – size/cost minimisation while achieving layouts for inherently good EMC compliance and thermal design.
- Device selection - Interpretation of datasheets and knowledge of design methods to confidently select the optimum device based on design criteria.
- It is desirable for a candidate to have prior experience of heater control (e.g. triac drivers and triac control).
Control Circuit design:
- Excellent understanding of techniques for accurately monitoring small signals in high power, electrically noisy environments.
- Knowledge of analogue to digital converters, op-amps, comparators, voltage references etc.
- Schematic capture using Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics VX or other mainstream tools.
- Use of SPICE based simulation tools such as Simetrix.
- Use of Matlab or Python.
- Circuit simulation and design tolerance analysis.
- Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation.
- Robust design including FMEA techniques.
- Familiar with creating requirement documents.
- Ability to evaluate complete systems and drive optimization.
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment.
- Use of laboratory equipment to set up experiments and to take precise measurements.
- Experience of writing risk assessments for lab-based testing.
- Ability to build, test and modify prototypes.
- Previous people management experience.
- Proven ability to build and manage supplier relationships.
- Ability to manage several projects running concurrently.
- Budget setting and management.
Essential behavioural skills:
- Excellent analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Effective communicator: appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- Able to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas in line with core Dyson values.
- Comfortable at multi-tasking and planning effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
- Excellent team working skills and a desire to inspire others within the team.
- Able to work on several projects running concurrently in a fast-paced environment.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.