- Compliance and approvals, Product Design
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
- The Principal Packaging Engineer is responsible for ensuring the design solution from the packaging operations function faithfully delivers the Out of Box experience our NPI & Creative teams intend the owners of our products to receive.
- Using your broad experience in a wide range of packaging technologies and applications, ensure the right engineering and manufacturing considerations and controls have been applied in order to guarantee that the final manufactured assembly meets the high design and quality standards expected from a Dyson product.
- You will be responsible throughout the major development phases from concept evaluation and development in the UK, and implementation into production in SEA and for precisely communicating our design requirements to our suppliers in collaboration with our procurement teams.
- This remit will spread across multiple projects in the development portfolio.
Concept evaluation: The principal packaging engineer will provide insight to our concept development team to ensure the most feasible concepts are selected for downstream development.
This should include:
- Advice on selection of appropriate materials and manufacturing technologies:
- To achieve the desired quality, cost, compliance requirements.
- To achieve the desired robustness requirements.
- To achieve the desired environmental credentials
Working alongside our packaging engineers, develop the chosen concepts in order to demonstrate the proposed solution, through sufficiently credible prototype and test evidence, and provide the project’s design leadership confidence it not only delivers the customer value, but can meet cost, regulatory, manufacturing and quality criteria.
This should be delivered through:
- Driving best engineering practices into the design team: Design For Manufacture, Assembly, Cost, Compliance, Robust design.
- Working with potential suppliers to provide rapid turn-around in the development of credible prototypes.
- Ensuring we have repeatable and representative test methods in place to help guide development.
Initiating and running a suitable design governance/review process to ensure best practice is followed and ultimately ensuring the design output meets the standards necessary to communicate the design to our implementation counterparts in South East Asia.
Working alongside our packaging engineers in South East Asia, guide the development of the final solution to ensure it meets the highest level of detail necessary for release to our chosen suppliers for manufacturing and subsequent engineering validation.
This should be delivered through:
- Detailed design evaluation: Tolerance analysis, final manufacturing simulation of prototype designs, detailed specification of materials and finishes.
- Ensuring adherence to best practice design standards.
- Finally, the Principal packaging engineer will be responsible for ensuring there is a means to provide closed loop feedback on development processes and released designs to ensure a continuous improvement culture is propagated.
- Through an acute understanding of Quality, Manufacturing and Supplier sensitivities, you will be responsible for the creation of design guides and internal standards to ensure lessons learnt are captured and embedded back into the process.
- Degree in PD/ID or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience in either Consumer Domestic/FMCG packaging, and Retail design roles.
- Global experience and appreciation of different working cultures, values and communication styles.
· A successful track record of robust design delivery within a product development industry.
· In-depth technical knowledge and understanding of core packaging engineering best practice.
- Essential to have working knowledge of a wide range packaging manufacturing technologies and materials.
- Desirable to have experience in the application of ISO 9001: Quality Management System.
- Experience in development, and innovative application of, sustainable packaging materials, and a thorough understanding of the packaging carbon footprint throughout its lifecycle.
· Drive and ambition to challenge the norm, innovate and push boundaries, whilst maintaining the delicate balance of meeting cost and quality targets.
· Eye for detail.
· Sense of responsibility to ensure Dyson values are maintained through the output of our work.
· The willingness to challenge assumptions and ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas to the unique problems associated to achieving Dyson’s brand values in our products.
· Drive for consistency, quality, control, but able to strike the right balance so as not to stifle creativity.
· Level headed and ability to drive delivery through others, within a dynamic environment.
• Team player, comfortable dealing with all business levels – from director to engineer.
• Ability to communicate confidently and clearly at all levels, with credibility and gravitas (both in written and verbal format)
• CAD skills: Expert in a high-end 3D/2D cad modelling software – (Siemens NX preferred).
• Ability to facilitate complex design reviews and drive towards productive outcomes.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines