- SGD Remuneration Package
- Motors and Power Systems
- Singapore - Singapore
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson Digital Motors have been instrumental in transforming our product portfolio over the last decade, generating technology that has enabled our talented product designers and engineers to reinvent cord-free vacuum cleaning, hand drying and most recently hair-care. The journey we are on is continuous, and our future generations of motors will be even more ground-breaking than those we have already launched.
As part of our global growth, we are looking to enhance our technical leadership in SEA with the appointment of a Principal Engineer to provide technical vision, problem solving and gold-standard technical coaching to our motor engineering team.
- Leadership in Technology & Design of Class-leading high-speed electric motor compressors, including application into Dyson products such as vacuum cleaners, hand-dryers and hair-care products.
- A proactive problem solver working across RDD/Operations/Commercial/Quality to deliver robust solutions to meet project deadlines
- Provide Vision & Direction to inspire & challenge team members whilst technically developing the team and coaching future leaders
- Clear focus to Ensure Design solutions are diligently planned and delivered to the cost & time target with the highest level of reliability and quality
- Create the environment for continuous improvement with the emphasis on sharing and searching for best practice with other areas and other internal and external networks.
- Push plans through Incisive questioning, challenging technical decisions and Risk vs. Opportunity balance to maintain pace through project cycles
- Mechanical Engineering Degree from an internationally recognized University, PHD would be preferred.
- At least 8 years’ experience in developing Mechanical Design solutions for High precision engineering products.
- Experience of providing technical leadership to a team of multi-disciplinary engineers to perform design, development and support for motors deployment and support
- Proven track record of delivering mechanical focused projects on time and to budget and specification
- Understanding of mechanical engineering characteristics in real applications including:-
- Appreciation of Rotating machinery topics such as rotor dynamics, balance, bearing design or structural vibration.
- Experience of aerodynamics in practical application and appreciation of key design metrics effecting performance.
- Understanding of system approach of mechanical/electrical/control algorithms to deliver integrated solutions
- Understanding and application of engineering techniques from first principle theory, through engineering simulation, lab based test and failure analysis.
- DFMEA design ethos and experience application
- Has a proven track record delivering improved manufacturing performance in both favourable and unfavourable conditions; utilizing cross-functional teams
- Has led transformation projects and is familiar with continuous improvement methodologies such as Six Sigma and Lean (Green/Black belt accreditation would be beneficial)
- Technical and commercial negotiation with component suppliers
- Design for manufacture (low cost, reliability, performance, high volume, production assembly and test techniques)
- Knowledge of simulation tools model mechanical systems including FEA and CFD
- Awareness of issues related to electronics and a general appreciation of Software.
- Assembly supplier selection and audit
- Knowledge of Associated fields such as digital motor drive techniques, electro-magnetic or precision mechanical systems with a variety manufacturing technologies
- Design of moulded and machined components with track record in high volume manufacture
Key Skills and Competences:
- Ability to work within a MNC, with an English speaking headquarters, which develops and produces complete products, which are marketed internationally.
- Experience of working within a company, which has Mechanical Engineering as its core technology/discipline.
- Strong working knowledge of manufacturing methodologies, technologies and common issues.
- Good balance of strategic thinking and hands-on problem solving.
- Excellent communication in English (both verbal & written).