- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Global Electronics Hardware in RDD are at the core of electronics development & product delivery, and as the company has grown and diversified an opportunity has opened for a motivated and experienced Lead PCB engineer to join the busy PCB Engineering Group.
About the roleDyson has an opportunity for a Thermal Engineer to join our Hardware Development team, within the highly successful Research, Design and Development (RDD) department. RDD is a multidisciplinary department responsible for the development of all Dyson products including those which utilise Digital Motors and Lithium Ion batteries. Dyson Digital Motors are small and light, yet extremely powerful; they power the next generation of handheld vacuum cleaners as well as the Supersonic which has revolutionised hair care. As part of this group we are looking to expand our Thermal Design and Analysis capability.
Dyson RDD is vibrant, diverse, very challenging and always interesting; you automatically become a part of the design innovation and engineering that make Dyson the technology brand it is.
- Ensure the safety and reliability of Dyson products
- Take technical responsibility for the thermal design of a number of projects across different product categories ensuring their successful delivery
- Act as the Thermal Subject Matter Expert across the business and multiple projects
- Actively identify technical risks within projects and drive their resolution
- Challenge where appropriate and develop best practice and process improvement opportunities across the business
- Develop and train others either within the wider team
About youSkills & Experience
- Degree or equivalent experience in engineering or physics alongside significant industrial experience of thermal design, analysis and testing in an electronics industry
- Be able to perform steady-state & transient heat transfer calculations from first principles
- Proven expert in heat transfer specifically the cooling of power electronics, motors & batteries
- Familiar with Mentor Graphics FloTHERM (or a similar CFD thermal analysis software)
- Ideally has worked on high volume commercial products and is a proven advocate for cost reduction opportunities & the importance of design for manufacture
- Awareness of the regulations for product safety including touch temperature standards
- Have a good understanding of the physics of failure including solder fatigue and the effects of vibration, water ingress, humidity & dust
- Can define and carry out thermal validation testing to ensure modelling is accurate
- Would become our subject matter expert promoting the use of thermal simulation tools
- Willing to train others to increase awareness of thermal design and analysis
- Good communication skills for presenting and documenting work
- Familiarity with Mechanical CAD tools such as Siemens NX or SolidWorks
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Methodical & organised approach with attention to detail & accuracy
- Self-motivated, with a strong focus on results
- Ability to work independently or as an effective team member.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Benefits27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidaysPension schemePerformance related bonusPrivate medical insuranceLife assuranceSport centreFree on-site parkingSubsidised café and restaurantsDiscounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.