- Energy storage
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking.Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Dyson’s interest in researching and developing energy storage technologies started more than a decade ago, when it became apparent that the full potential of our DDM motors were starting to be held back by commercially available batteries. Fast-forward to 2021, and we now have over 100 scientists and engineers working on battery R&D across our labs in the UK, US and Singapore.
With multiple generations of Dyson battery technologies ranging from early research through the industrialisation phase, Dyson are recruiting a wide range of roles across their UK and Singapore labs to accelerate progress. These roles include materials scientists, electrochemists, cell design engineers, cell test technicians, cell assembly technicians, mechanical design engineers, manufacturing process development engineers and manufacturing technologists. We are recruiting at all levels of seniority up to senior technical leadership roles.
About the roleThere is a requirement for a Principal engineer within the Energy Storage team, to drive development of processes pioneered in research through to pilot scale manufacture.
This role is a key part of the team that is going to succeed in overcoming these challenges by combining experience, engineering excellence, and clear thinking with innovative designs to keep Dyson at the leading edge of energy storage technologies.
Initially this role is focused on identifying and de-risking cost effective manufacturing routes for battery active materials, both cathode and anode.
Applicants for this particular role must have significant demonstrable experience in the aforementioned areas, specifically the development of critical processes ready for pilot scale manufacture.
Responsibilities shall include;
- The review of unit operations and processes identified at a research level, and the development of these to reliable and reproducible process steps
- Review of potential alternative and parallel technology methods to achieve the same aim
- Identify potential methods of manufacture whereby significant cost or quality improvements could be realised
- Working with partners and internal engineers to rapidly prototype solutions for trial & verification
- To lead development projects with partners and collaborators for the prototyping and engineering of equipment.
- Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility
- Prove the production intent solution and create suitable documentation prior to handover to the manufacturing teams and partners
- Demonstrate proposed solutions are safe, robust, cost effective and fit-for-purpose for a high-volume manufacturing environment
- Assist in the personal development of junior team members.
- Degree in a scientific or engineering discipline
- Proven experience experience developing processes or products
- Project progression – can demonstrate having taken a product/idea/process from research (early phase) through to prototype on a number of occasions, preferably through to manufacturing
- Stakeholder management including demonstrated decision influencing
- Demonstratable leadership of quality & value improvements related to product and process engineering activities
- Leadership of compliance activities related to environmental and H&S regulations
- Experience of implementation of safety management systems and their application to the proposed processes, and how these would be impacted by an increase in scale
- Bulk powder handling, in particular the safety requirements around these processes and how these change with scale
- Design & construction of development and Pilot-Line equipment
- Batch & continuous processes
- Multi-stage unit operations; timings & work-flow
- Hazardous and/or complex environments, (e.g. dry / explosive / particulate / vapour)
- Management of the specification and construction of facilities
- Experienced CAD user
- Data acquisition & Processing – Scientific in understanding but engineering in mind-set.
- Proficient in MS Office including Excel
- Statistical process control – Lean Six Sigma type approaches.
- Battery active material development experience would be highly desirable
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.