- Quality and Reliability
- Shanghai - China
We are looking to hire a Quality Engineer in Shanghai
AccountabilitiesIdentify and resolve new product failures
- Territory investigation of product safety issues, as directed by the Dyson Product Safety Committee (DPSC).
- Regular analysis of part usage, repairs and retail returns data, for the China market.
- Analysis of data from all call centres and service centres in China creating Pareto analysis to identify key failure modes, using results to identify reliability improvements (design and quality) for existing products. Goal is achieving prescribed year on year reliability improvements.
- Early warning activity; regularly meet with the customer service team to obtain anecdotal feedback of potentially increasing issues and further investigate. Follow-up with communication of issues to relevant business areas and ultimately issue resolution. Investigate any market escalated concerns relating to product quality or quality of customer service.
- Provision of daily or weekly reports into any issues identified to the relevant business areas and ‘owning’ their close-out.
- Identify any and all opportunities to improve the reliability and quality of Dyson product in China. Work within the reliability engineering team developing design improvements, communicating them effectively to the engineering and quality teams in South East Asia and UK and ensuring timely implementation.
- Arrangement of failed sample collections for analysis or to be shipped to prime subcontractors. Creation of engineering Pareto analyses to identify key failure modes. Follow-up with communication of issues to relevant business areas and ultimately issue resolution.
- Random quality audits of top selling Dyson SKUs in the warehouse for Quality Control Purposes.
- Weekly feedback to call centre/repair centres, etc., on their performance with respect to the recording of vital customer fault information.
- To contribute technically across the reliability engineering team to the development of product improvements, ensuring only high quality, well developed and proven solutions are implemented and are documented to allow effective communication of issues and solutions with new product development team.
- Analysis of customer online review data for positive and negative sentiments to identify strengths and weaknesses within the design. Communication of analysis results with relevant parties to influence future product development
Ensure new product development and launch success
- Quality audit of all new SKUs that are launched in your territory, prior to launch & feedback to relevant Dyson business areas.
- Support home trials of new models where required. Provide investigation and analysis into New Product Development (NPD) issues that emerge during the home-trial in your territory and aiding in the design and development prior to launch.
- Monitor new product launches for trends and identify key failures early in the launch. Follow-up with communication of issues to relevant business areas and ultimately issue resolution.
General territory engineering assistance
- Be a contact point for engineering questions and queries within the territory including product and technology specific, and general engineering principals. Supporting all aspects of the Chinese business.
- Supply engineering support to PR and James Dyson Foundation charity activities. Including media interviews on new products and technology.
- Be a territory expert to the global Research, Design, and Development (RDD) business supplying territory specific knowledge.
Fulfil other duties as necessary
- Relish the opportunity to pick up new activities that fall broadly in the purpose of the role.
- Create and implement operational improvements and develop documentation to support these improvements.
- Think outside of the box, identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering, or an engineering-based design subject.
- Good technical strength across mechanical engineering areas with an understanding of basic electrical principles and, ideally, basic electronics.
- Basic statistical skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel required.
- Willing and able to travel internally in China and internationally at short notice.
- Valid Passport
- Good communication skills, both written and oral and on both a technical and non-technical level. In English and Chinese.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Analytical ability, both in engineering terms and more general problem solving.
- Adaptable, creative and flexible. Good problem solver.
- Willingness to get stuck in, get your hands dirty and be a flexible team player
- Good organisation skills with the ability to multi-task and manage time across multiple activities and categories