- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
The Thermodynamics Research team is a multidisciplinary team of engineers and scientists. The team investigates core heat transfer, mass transfer and related materials technologies for future products. These investigations cover: fundamental research of phenomena and technologies which may inform future products, development of technology to meet identified product requirements. Usually these technologies are being pushed to their limits or being used in unique contexts.
- A technical lead role with a prototyping focus which requires both theoretical and practical knowledge of technical ceramics – mainly functional ceramics which serve an electrical, magnetic or dielectric purpose. Though the work could also extend to structural ceramics.
- The objective will be to develop in-house prototyping capability for technology that uses industry-standard manufacturing processes and to develop new manufacturing processes for more novel technologies under investigation.
- Responsibilities for this role will range from lab equipment selection and lab commissioning, to final part inspection and in-product failure mode investigation.
- Willingness to work in an industry R&D environment which spans fundamental proof-of-concept research to design for mass manufacture.
- Willing to work in an environment where project deadlines and project priorities can change on a weekly basis.
- Willing to work in parallel on projects with competing deadlines and competing resources.
- Willing working on projects that may not benefit from fully defined technical specifications.
- Willing to work in a rapidly growing and evolving company environment where procedures and best practices are still being developed.
- Confident enough to present and defend research in front of James Dyson.
- Doctoral degree (PhD, EngD) in technical or functional ceramics
- Knowledge of a wide range of materials characterisation techniques for raw materials and finished materials
- Experience in defining lab equipment specifications
- Industrial R&D experience in technical ceramics
- Industrial manufacturing experience in technical ceramics e.g. scale up of lab based processes for mass manufacture
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines