- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re driven by progress and thrive on the challenge of relentless improvement. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people. We start with an engineering mindset and different thinking, then continuously refine our ideas, unwilling to compromise until we’ve found a better way. We are looking for a Research Engineer to join our Research Team in Malmesbury.
About the role
The Research Engineer will contribute to projects in our new category research and Environmental Care purification technology both of which are critical to our future range plans. The use of electric fields to modify biological systems are important for our technology road maps in multiple research categories. We need to build our skill set in both practical and simulation of such electric field phenomena (for instance cold plasma).
You will join a growing research team tasked with exploring new opportunities through application of their technical expertise; the overarching objective will be to develop fundamental understanding from both scientific and consumer perspectives, and conduct research that enables novel technology innovations and the subsequent development of new products. Dyson research function spans the globe, you will need to work closely with a range of teams and disciplines located in a variety of time zones. Maintaining effective working relationships independent of physical location will be essential as well as strong communication and collaborative skills.
The current role requires an engineer experienced in the study and practical application of electric field phenomena, in particular cold atmospheric plasma. This includes having a good theoretical understanding, demonstrable practical experience, and ideally experience in predictive simulation.
· Design and build technology demonstrators based on well-defined hypotheses.
· Identify experimental procedures and equipment to evaluate technologies.
· Where required develop bespoke techniques for visualising/measuring technology characteristics
· Conduct detailed practical and theoretical analysis of technologies.
· Progress projects using the Dyson technology milestone process: investigate and analyse technologies, document and report findings, communicate to key stakeholders, and handover to downstream teams.
· Identify potential research areas based on technical insight.
· Present concepts to James Dyson and the Exec. team, when required.
· Liaise with product and technology development teams to ensure effective transfer of research into future product range.
- Degree qualification or equivalent in relevant scientific disciplines (e.g. Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering) .
- Capable of designing and experimenting with high voltage plasma systems.
- Experience of air purification using plasma technology.
- Experience of conducting risk assessments and working to high safety standards in a laboratory environment.
- The ability to use simulation tools to better understand experimental systems.
- Good analytical problem-solving ability, capable of assessing data and technologies using a variety of methods.
- Good communication and presentation skills. Able to translate and communicate complex technical issues to wider team, managers and directors when required.
- The ability to work on cross-discipline research projects involving multiple collaborators.
- Ideally have experience working with external partners and/or academic institutions.
- Inquisitive and tenacious attitude to future product range.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.