- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world-class research, design and development (RDD) department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
About the role
The Research Manager will work within the Floorcare Research team, reporting to the Head of Research, to apply their skills and experience to invent and develop technologies that enhance the company’s technical advantage in future products. He/she will drive research projects from initial conception, through the various technology readiness levels, and finally into NPD projects. As a Manager, the successful candidate will also be expected to line manage, mentor and technically advise the junior team members as well as implement new ideas to help in the continuous improvement of the team’s research capability.
- Lead and deliver product-focused technology projects to the Dyson range plan.
- Lead a sub-team of the Floorcare Research team to deliver an innovative new range of technology.
- Line manage and mentor junior members in the team.
- Collaborate with team members to generate innovative concepts for new technologies.
- Conduct detailed theoretical and numerical analyses of these concepts as appropriate.
- Oversee the design and build of prototypes of chosen technologies and the experimental test programmes to evaluate technologies.
- Analyse test results, summarise findings and communicate these to other members of RDD including senior managers and directors.
- Liaise with development teams to ensure effective transfer of technology into future product range.
- Identify potential research areas which would benefit from new technology development
Qualifications, skills and behaviours:
- Industrial experience of leading others to enable project success in the development of technology.
- Experience with working in a large team and preferably large cross-team environment.
- Good communication and presentation skills. Able to translate and communicate technical information to project/research teams, managers, directors and James Dyson.
- Degree qualified (or equivalent) in an engineering discipline.
- Good analytical and problem-solving ability, capable of logically assessing technologies using a variety of methods.
- Persistent nature and an inquisitive attitude.
- Experience in the use of CAD, preferably Siemens NX.
- Good organisational skills - able to plan ahead and to prioritise tasks and co-ordinate with the work of others.
- Have an understanding of core engineering test procedures and equipment. Able to specify experimental programmes and effectively analyse results, summarise findings and make recommendations.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.