- Starting salary will be based on experience and credentials
- Chicago, IL, USA
Dyson is growing, adding more products, new categories and solving problems others ignore with technologies that break convention. Dyson is committed to building a consistent global retail presence. The experience of Dyson in-store will illustrate the latest technological advances that set Dyson products apart from others.
The retail design process is driven and managed in-house, a collaborative activity involving highly skilled experts in the Malmesbury corporate office and 80 market offices. The combined team drive the local and global retail strategies, within Dyson owned and third-party stores to create and shape the Dyson retail experience.
Concept design – work across a breadth of projects from direct store furniture, NPD projects, retail systems, events, and bespoke market requirements. Visualizing and presenting 3D solutions.
Development design – evolve initial design concepts into tangible retail furniture for production. Able to prepare design intent packs and either complete the production drawing or oversee and redline drawings completed by others. Ensure technical documentation adheres to the Dyson design process, drive value engineering, ensure solutions are commercially viable and drive efficiency where ever possible throughout the process.
Standards – ensure the details follow and integrate Dyson global retail design standards, while concurrently ensuring solutions comply with local standards and requirements (regional Code, retailer expectations, ADA, UL, sustainability/lean). Driving the necessary differences while maintaining consistency.
Partner collaboratively – Able to work closely with both local and global teams to aide concept exploration, offering technical guidance, ensuring design validation and adhering to a coherent design vision. Able to influence others and drive the most appropriate solution given the challenges at hand. Comfortable with input and challenges from global partners. Solution oriented and positive.
Vendor liaison – progressing designs into and through vendors. Familiar with the process and able to navigate and direct vendors to deliver the finished product.
Travel - Regular travel (approx 25% but could be more or less depending on evolution of role) required between Dyson’s Chicago USA and Malmesbury UK offices, as needed dependent on projects and product launches. Travel expected for market-based or global prototype reviews, and/or installations. Travel between other Americas regions (US, Canada, and Mexico).
Although the role is predominantly retail focused it may require support on other projects, as and when needed.
Experience and Education
- Bachelors degree in a design related field that demonstrates the ability to complete the role
- +6 years POS and/or retail design experience.
- Expert user of 3D CAD (Solidworks is essential).
- Expert user of 3D visualization software (Photoworks, Photoview 360, 3DS max etc).
- Expert level knowledge of local (Americas) materials and production processes: steel fabrication, aluminum extrusions, injection mo(u)ldings and sheet plastic fabrication, timber and laminate joinery, upholstery, led lighting.
- Proven experience translating retail fixtures developed in metric to imperial, for use within Americas retail environment.
- Strong understanding of US health and safety requirements.
- Experience working with key Dyson retailers in the US required. Experience with Canada and Mexico retailers a plus.
- Proven record of working closely with manufacturers and suppliers
- Experience undertaking prototyping reviews and testing
- Fully literate in producing large General Assemblies and manufacturing technical drawings that comply to BS 888
- Excellent freehand sketching.
- Basic knowledge of graphic design, instore communication and mixed print production ideal.
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to influence peers and senior stakeholders
- Creative, lateral thinker, good at problem solving
- Methodical approach to work
- Commercially aware
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Can do attitude, passionate, motivated and flexible
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Able to lead projects and drive them through to delivery
- Able to work on multiple concurrent projects and multitask
- Able to take on-board feedback and constructive criticism
- Excellent time management skills
- Travel globally and locally
BenefitsDyson US monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries, holidays and retirement plans. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy profit-related bonuses and life and disability cover. But financial rewards are just the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fueling and realizing ambition.
Dyson is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with Dyson and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please send an e-mail with your contact information, the job number of the position for which you are interested in applying, and the nature of your request to email@example.com or call (312) 706-2260. Determinations of requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.