- Energy storage
- Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Our research and testing enables us to pioneer new technology by continuously improving and developing our machines. The team is hands-on and integrated, which means you’ll be fully involved in the development process.
Dyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The technical research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate our products from the competition. Dyson is expanding into several new and exciting product categories and is positioning itself as a technology company. Successful applicants for this role will form a critical part of the team driving these products and others forward.
About the role
Dyson has state-of-the-art R&D laboratory facilities to support the development and testing of novel battery designs. Continued expansion of our activities has created an exciting opportunity within the team for an individual who is keen to get hands on with the development of the next generation of batteries. You will join a team of electrochemists, mechanical and electronic engineers in Dyson’s Strategy and Research Group. Your focus will be on the development of novel cell designs to meet Dyson’s growing Energy Storage requirements. In this role you will have access to the latest technologies from around the world and develop the next generation of batteries. You will:
· Gain a clear understanding of Dyson’s Energy storage requirements and apply your knowledge to develop custom cells, enabling the next generation of our products.
· Use a combination of practical experience, modelling and theoretical knowledge to optimise electrode design and prototyping.
· Apply strong characterisation skills to analyse electrodes utilising both physical and electrochemical tools. You will be able to apply these results to drive cell performance.
· Work within a team to scale electrode designs from small scale batches to prototype cells. Utilising process insight and applied knowledge you will facilitate an accurate and efficient transfer of process.
- Masters or Ph.D/Eng.D level degree in a physical science or engineering discipline relevant to electrochemical cell research and development.
- Track record in the development of lithium-ion/lithium metal technology, applying key electrochemical techniques including galvanostatic cycling, voltammetry and EIS to drive improvement and understanding of cell performance.
- Comprehensive understanding of critical battery materials, including key trends and developments.
- Robust knowledge of material and electrode characterisation, including: particle size distribution, SEM, BET, DSC/TGA, XRD, porosimetry, ionic and electronic conductivity analysis and electrode expansion.
- Experience of failure mode analysis of cells and the constituent components.
- Excellent analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner.
- Ability to identify and solve problems independently.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks.
- Excellent team working skills, including working across teams.
- Relevant industrial experience.
- Exposure to alternative manufacturing routes, for example: spray deposition, extrusion, solid state compounding etc.
- Experience in developing alternative electrolyte systems (gel, polymer, solid-state etc.).
- Knowledge of advanced techniques relevant to cell characterisation, such as XPS, differential electrochemical mass spectroscopy, TEM and FIB milling.
- Experience of scaling cell design and production methods from small scale to pilot prototype.
- Ability to use Matlab/Python for data-processing automation.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.