- SGD Competitive Remuneration Package
- Energy storage
- Singapore - Singapore
From its origins in a small workshop in rural England, Dyson has grown into a technology company with a global footprint. We have offices from Auckland to Zurich, via Singapore, Moscow and Chicago. While engineering remains at our core, our passion for problem solving across different disciplines runs throughout our business. We're a diverse workforce made up of people with different Dyson behaviours.
Our philosophy remains the same as it was 25 years ago when James Dyson invented the first cyclonic vacuum cleaner. We remain family-owned. We don’t bow to outside shareholders or report to the stock exchange. Instead, we plot our own path, unshackled from conventional thinking.
Dyson people are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical, enthusiastic and resourceful. However, most of all we’re passionate about what we do.
Being a pivotal role in the concept to production of a Dyson Designed Cell puts the Development team at the heart of this exciting journey. The Team will translate early concept directions into fully developed, optimised & validated solutions to make at high volume for the next generation of Dyson products.
About the role
This role houses the ownership for the Cell Material Characterisation of novel new technologies in Solid state cells. Be the junction point for the cell physical embodiment against the aspirations of the chemistry system and delivering a solution to meet aspirations of both.
A successful candidate will have the communication skills to translate technical feedback whilst empowering their own team to fully measure and analyse prototype cells through to production scale. Reporting initially to the Senior Engineering Manager, subsequently to the Energy Storage Director, the role will encompass Technical analysis, Project management, Team leadership and Technical communications.
- Be part of the development characterization activities for all Dyson solid state cells ensuring the material requirements are tested for form, composition and function.
- Develop both physical capability through equipment competence and theoretical understanding to meet all material performance, safety characteristics and manufacturability metrics for Dyson cells.
- You will be part of the subject matter expert team for all quantitative and qualitative characterisation activity and support. This will be enhanced through supporting communication with the relevant teams.
- Support that material structure and composition requirements are met in conjunction with the Electrochemistry and cell build teams. You will help provide feedback improvements to satisfy the product vision.
- Support engineers to build capability, solve challenging problems and deliver continuously to the highest safety standard.
- Be a core member of the ES structure, contribute and support representing ES within Dyson and externally. Support the strategy of the function, devise plans, present risks or take opportunities to deliver safe, reliable and cost effective products to market.
- Support understanding of the requirements for future Dyson cells, working with the research teams to drive new specifications and further enhance the next generation of Dyson’s battery technology and materials science.
- Be part of developing the cell characterisation equipment and information for Energy Storage and be part of the team advising the company on risk and a proportionate response.
- Build relationships with internal departments, external service suppliers, industry bodies within Energy Storage. Develop relationships with university providers to complement skills and equipment needs for all quantitative and qualitative characterisation needs.
- Demonstrate clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate hand over either to other teams within the UK or Far East. Be confident in data acquisition and processing.
- Scientific in understanding but engineering in mind-set.
- Support developing Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency.
- Excellent relationship building skills with the ability to build a network of connections both upstream and downstream within Dyson.
Qualifications / Professional Memberships:
Educated to Masters Degree level (scientific/engineering based)
Experience / Requirements:
- 3+ years’ experience of Energy Storage Cell technical matters.
- Significant experience developing methods for the physical, structural and electrochemical characterisation of materials and devices.
- Has used analytical skills to develop a product/idea/process from concept to technology demonstration.
- Experience working with Secondary Cell Research or development or production.
- An ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the fundamentals of cells and an awareness of the application of modules and pack systems.
- A broad understanding of qualitative and quantitative material properties characterization and manufacturing processes related to cell engineering materials.
- People management experience.
- Strong organisational skills with a methodical and detailed approach.
- Persistent approach to problem solving and an inquisitive nature.
- Must demonstrate a passion for working for Dyson.
- A Materials Scientist/Engineer with significant experience in the fields of physical and electrochemical characterisation of materials.
- A scientist working in any of the following industries; solar, electronics, speciality materials, OLED, fuel-cell or battery industries would be particularly suited to the role.
- Appreciation of relevant battery technology or battery products across the industry.
- When required, travel to other Dyson facilities in Asia/UK for project engineering build support.
In order to increase your chances of being short listed please ensure you submit a supporting statement in addition to your CV clearly addressing how you meet the essential & desirable criteria as outlined in the person specification, plus details of your current and required package.
BenefitsDyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.