- Energy storage
- Oxford, United Kingdom
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our engineering approach starts with different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way. Today we employ more than 5,800 people around the world in software engineering, mechanical engineering and science-related roles.
Dyson’s interest in researching and developing energy storage technologies started more than a decade ago, when it became apparent that the full potential of our DDM motors were starting to be held back by commercially available batteries. Fast-forward to 2021, and we now have over 100 scientists and engineers working on battery R&D across our labs in the UK, US and Singapore.
With multiple generations of Dyson battery technologies ranging from early research through the industrialisation phase, Dyson are recruiting a wide range of roles across their UK and Singapore labs to accelerate progress. These roles include materials scientists, electrochemists, cell design engineers, cell test technicians, cell assembly technicians, mechanical design engineers, manufacturing process development engineers and manufacturing technologists. We are recruiting at all levels of seniority up to senior technical leadership roles.
About the roleDyson requires a skilled and highly motivated Chemical Laboratory Technician to help it achieve its current and long term battery ambitions and support its RDD lab activities. The person will be expected to spend the majority of their time in a research laboratory supporting the production on new materials for Li ion batteries. The role will involve handling of large quantities of chemicals and operating reactors and furnaces to prepare new materials.
You will join a growing team of chemists, physicists and engineers in Dyson’s Strategy & Research Group. Your focus will be to perform chemical processes under guidance from senior scientists. You will:
- Involved in a program of research developing new cathode materials
- Synthesis transition metal oxide compounds
- Be heavily focused on hands on laboratory work
- You will be involved in producing batches of material with a high degree of reproducibility.
- These materials will be fed through into a R and D development of new battery materials
- Work within an energetic research environment focused on innovation
- Be trained and developed to fully understand the R and D process for Li ion batteries
- Experience of a Laboratory environment
- Hardworking and keen to learn
- Good track record for attention to detail
- Methodical approach to work
- Good organisational and planning skills
- Strong problem solving skills exemplified by the ability to diagnose and rectify problems
- Good written and verbal communication
- Enjoy practical work
- The ability to manage personal contribution to a project with guidance from a manager
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner.
- Excellent team working skills.
- HND/ A-levels (Maths; Chemistry; Physics) or Degree in a Science discipline (Physics; Electrical Engineering; Chemistry, Biology etc.)
- Experience with cathode materials and ceramic synthesis
- Familiar with standard chemical processes such as weighing, dissolving and filtering.
- Able to follow standard operating (SOP) procedures.
- Familiar with making scientific measurements and understand the importance of accuracy and precision.
- Be able make calculations to scale up a SOP
- Keep good records of you work and present results in a meaningful fashion.
- An understanding and experience of good lab practice, including health and safety, COSHH and risk assessments
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machine
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.