- Motors and Power Systems, Automotive, Energy storage, Mechanical Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Senior Battery Design Engineer to join the Motors and Power Systems Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K
Reporting to the Mechanical Manager, you will join a growing team of multi-disciplined engineers in Dyson’s Technical Research Group. The teams focus is on developing power system solutions for the full range of Dyson products, straddling both automotive and home categories. The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to developing robust solutions that satisfy mechanical, thermal, manufacturability, electrical and regulatory requirements while considering the impact on performance, cost and life.
* Develop innovative & novel concepts with high value IP.
* Deliver robust design solutions that fulfil the fundamental design
requirements, achieving world class levels of performance.
* Understand and comply with relevant International Standards.
* Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept to proof of principle. Lead other engineering colleagues as required to support this.
* Demonstrate a sound understanding of systems engineering principles to define, optimise and validate product performance.
* Be a source of design engineering expertise to advise on design, development, material, manufacturing, validation and test issues.
* Develop 3D CAD and engineering drawings for
mechanical and electrical components and assemblies along with test rigs and
assembly jigs. Review and approve work completed by others.
* Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency
* Have the ability to build and manage relationships both internally and externally with suppliers and academic bodies
Education and experience:
* A degree in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline (2:1 degree or better) with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
* High level of knowledge of 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages,
* Ability to apply systems engineering
principles to translate fundamental business / system requirements into system
design definition and sub-system / component requirements.
* Working understanding of technical risk management processes including Functional / Design FMEA
* Working knowledge of GD&T
* Knowledge of power system design, including motors, transmissions and energy storage solutions
* An appreciation of other engineering disciplines
such aerodynamics, thermodynamics, CFD analysis and electrical, electronics and
* Appreciation of statistics and robust design techniques
* Understanding of materials science and manufacturing processes.
* Appreciation of the role of analytical techniques in supporting the design process
* Understanding of thermal systems design
* Appreciation of relevant national, European
and Worldwide regulations and legislation
Key behavioural skills:
* The ability to take a leadership position within a project with little direction
* Technically lead teams of engineers
* Good analytical ability and attention to detail
* Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
* To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
Performance related bonus
Free on-site parking
Subsidised café and restaurants
Discounts on Dyson machines