- Automotive, Energy storage, Mechanical Engineering, Motors and Power Systems
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
- Location details
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Senior Battery Design Engineer to join the Motors and Power Systems Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K
Reporting to Mechanical Manager, you will join a growing team of multi-disciplined engineers in Dyson’s Technical Research Group. The role is focused on leading the integration of in-house and bought in cell technologies into complete packs, for both new and existing categories. The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to developing robust solutions that satisfy mechanical, thermal, manufacturability, electrical and regulatory requirements while considering the impact on performance, cost and life.
* Deliver robust battery pack design solutions that fulfil the fundamental design requirements, achieving world class levels of power density.
* Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline
* Understand and comply with all relevant International Standards.
* Develop innovative & novel concepts with high value IP.
* Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept to proof of principle. Lead other engineering colleagues as required to support this.
* Demonstrate a sound understanding of systems engineering principles to define, optimise and validate product performance.
* Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to influence its design through expert knowledge of the latest technologies & methods.
* Be a source of design engineering expertise to advise on design, development, material, manufacturing, validation and test issues.
* Develop 3D CAD and engineering drawings for mechanical and electrical components and assemblies along with test rigs and assembly jigs. Review and approve work completed by others.
* Understand and apply engineering analysis tools such as FEA to develop concepts and validate designs
* Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency
* Have the ability to build and manage relationships both internally and externally with suppliers and academic bodies
Education and experience:
* A degree in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline (2:1 degree or better) with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
* High level of knowledge of 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages,
* Basic working knowledge of analytical techniques, including Finite Element Analysis (ideally Ansys) for basic structural, vibratory, thermal and shock load consideration
* Basic understanding of thermal systems design
* Good understanding of statistics and robust design techniques
* Sound understanding of materials science and manufacturing processes.
* Ability to apply systems engineering principles to translate fundamental business / system requirements into system design definition and sub-system / component requirements.
* Working understanding of technical risk management processes including Functional / Design FMEA
* Good knowledge of manufacturing techniques plus experience in definition of manual and automated assembly processes
* Appreciation of relevant national, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation
* Working knowledge of GD&T
* Electrical systems integration
* Recent experience of EV battery pack design and development
* Knowledge of adhesive selection and use.
* Appreciation of relevant motor technology or high speed rotating machinery
* An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, thermodynamics, CFD analysis and electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
* Assembly supplier selection
* Knowledge of ISO 26262
Essential behavioural skills:
* The ability to take a leadership position within a project with little direction
* Technically lead teams of engineers
* Good analytical ability and attention to detail
* Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
* Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas,
* To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
* Excellent team working skills.
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
Performance related bonus
Free on-site parking
Subsidised café and restaurants
Discounts on Dyson machines