- Product Design
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
About the roleWe are looking for Senior Design Engineers to join the RDD Global Floorcare category, where you will be a key part of the Sensors & Power Delivery team designing solutions for market leading cord-free and robot vacuum cleaners.You will be part of a multi-disciplined team that combines mechanical and product design on electro-mechanical systems including energy storage & sensors. Striving to solve problems for people globally and design for a diverse range of user needs and home environments. Designing and building prototypes to demonstrate new technology, intuitive features and performance gains. Our approach enables us to trial and review designs quickly to deliver authentic, different and pioneering products.
We are encouraged to think differently, be unafraid to make mistakes and get hands on to prove our technology from concept to manufacture. By joining our world class Research Design and Development department, you will work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people.
• Working alongside RDD teams to produce exciting and disruptive products on specification, cost and time.
• Collaborate with power systems and electronic teams to integrate energy storage, sensor & vision systems into our cutting-edge technologies.
• Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
• Assessing technical risk, defining development plans and reporting against project delivery.
• Ownership of design, build and testing of prototypes to demonstrate technology, features and performance.
• Create and perform investigative verification and validation tests throughout all development phases.
• Influence technology and product development roadmaps through strategic supplier relationships.
• Communicate and influence across all disciplines and levels.
• Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve design quality.
• Make informed decisions by interpreting complex data to drive design direction.
• Implement robust design techniques and sound engineering judgement when evaluating designs to meet product requirements
About youQualifications & Experience
• A degree in Mechanical Engineering / Design Engineering / Product Design or equivalent.
• Minimum of three years professional industry experience.
• Experience of designing parts and assemblies for mass manufacture, particularly injection moulded parts within an electro-mechanical environment.
• Utilising 3D CAD & simulation packages to aid design development.
• Sound understanding of fundamental engineering and scientific principles.
• Proficient in using 3D modelling packages.
• Creative problem solver with the ability to multitask in a rapidly changing environment.
• A good understanding of mechanisms and awareness of the application of electrical & electronic principles.
• Ability to generate and communicate ideas through a variety of media platforms.
• Analytical and logical mindset with a high attention to detail.
• Champion great design to produce products that meet all performance and functional requirements.
• Managing, tracking and mitigating technical risk.
• Plan effectively in an organised manner when working with a variety of project teams, in an often high- pressure, competitive environment.
• Use advanced statistical tools & analysis software, devise lab-based measurement techniques and test methods to influence design direction.
Desirable but not necessary experience
• Batteries - BMS / Cells / Power Management / Thermals.
• Optics – Illumination, Vision System, Light Tools simulation.
• Electrical / Electronic basics - PCBA Design & Manufacture, Components & Circuitry.
• Software/ Coding - Visual Basic, Arduino, Python, Mat Lab, Lab View.
Benefits•27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
•Performance related bonus
•Private medical insurance
•Free on-site parking
•Subsidised café and restaurants
•Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.