- Motors and Power Systems, Electronics, Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
- The senior embedded electronics role will involve:
- Working with different product teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative electronics systems and solutions.
- Researching various sensing, user interface and microcontroller technologies.
- Reviewing relevant papers, patents and meeting with companies to keep informed of emerging technologies.
- Producing detailed hardware designs (both analogue and digital hardware).
- Producing software to exercise hardware.
- Building demonstration rigs to convey ideas to others.
- Undertaking the thermal management design of electronic systems where applicable.
- Ensuring designs can comply with relevant EMC/EMI standards and modifying designs when needed to ensure this is the case.
- Developing simulations and algorithms for data processing, modelling and analysis.
- A key focus for any successful applicant will be to research into new technology and look at ways of incorporating this into future products. A successful applicant will be expected to:
- Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility.
- Produce clear, well written documentation prior to handover to the development teams.
- Demonstrate designs are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis.
- Education and experience:
- BEng/MEng degree in Electronic Engineering, or other relevant discipline, or a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry.
- Technical knowledge: Applicants should ideally have experience in the following areas:
- Digital hardware design:
- Excellent general knowledge of microcontrollers, preferably including ARM Cortex M series.
- Knowledge of a wide range of serial interfaces (e.g. I2C, SPI, UART, USB, I2S).
- Knowledge of memory devices is desirable e.g. NAND, NOR, SRAM, DDR etc.
- Experience of application processors.
- Experience of FPGA design. • Analogue hardware design:
- Experience of analogue amplification and signal conditioning circuitry.
- Design of Op-Amp stages such as differential amplifiers, integrators etc.
- • Software:
- Experience of C/C++ programming for embedded systems.
- Use of Matlab or Python for data acquisition, analysis and automation of rigs.
- Digital signal processing experience.
- • Design Tools:
- Schematic capture using Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics or other main stream tools.
- Use of SPICE based simulation tools such as Simetrix and LTspice.
- Design calculation tools such as Mathcad and Microsoft Excel. • Design Techniques: o Circuit simulation and design tolerance analysis. o Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation.
- Device selection - Interpretation of datasheets and knowledge of design methods to confidently select the lowest cost devices while achieving reliability targets.
- Lab experience
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
- Ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
- Excellent team working skills. Additional experience that is desirable:
- Knowledge of a wide range of sensors that can be used in a variety of projects and not necessarily in existing categories you would expect from Dyson.
- An understanding of sensing systems, which can include but is not necessarily limited to gas, particulate, inertial and optical based sensors.
- Thermal management approaches for surface mount and through hole devices.
- Robust design including FMEA techniques.
- PCB layout – size/cost minimisation while achieving layouts for inherently good EMC compliance and thermal design.
- Design for high volume manufacture.
- Experience of programming on Linux or Android operating systems running on application level processors.
- Use of Git for software version control.
- Atlassian tools, including Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket
- Keil µVision, IAR or similar IDEs
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
Performance related bonus
Free on-site parking
Subsidised café and restaurants
Discounts on Dyson machines