- Motors and Power Systems
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
The senior embedded electronics role will involve:
• Working with different product teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative electronics systems and solutions.
• Researching various sensing, user interface and microcontroller technologies.
• Reviewing relevant papers, patents and meeting with companies to keep informed of emerging technologies.
• Producing detailed hardware designs (both analogue and digital hardware).
• Producing software to exercise hardware.
• Building demonstration rigs to convey ideas to others.
• Undertaking the thermal management design of electronic systems where applicable.
• Ensuring designs can comply with relevant EMC/EMI standards and modifying designs when needed to ensure this is the case.
Developing simulations and algorithms for data processing, modelling and
A key focus for any successful applicant will be to research into new technology and look at ways of incorporating this into future products. A successful applicant will be expected to:
• Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility.
• Produce clear, well written documentation prior to handover to the development teams.
• Demonstrate designs are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis.
Education and experience:
• BEng/MEng degree in Electronic Engineering, or other relevant discipline, or a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry.
Applicants should ideally have experience in the following areas:
• Digital hardware design:
o Excellent general knowledge of microcontrollers, preferably including ARM Cortex M series.
o Knowledge of a wide range of serial interfaces (e.g. I2C, SPI, UART, USB, I2S).
o Knowledge of memory devices is desirable e.g. NAND, NOR, SRAM, DDR etc.
o Experience of application processors.
o Experience of FPGA design.
• Analogue hardware design:
o Experience of analogue amplification and signal conditioning circuitry.
o Design of Op-Amp stages such as differential amplifiers, integrators etc.
o Experience of C/C++ programming for embedded systems.
o Use of Matlab or Python for data acquisition, analysis and automation of rigs.
o Digital signal processing experience.
• Design Tools:
o Schematic capture using Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics or other main stream tools.
o Use of SPICE based simulation tools such as Simetrix and LTspice.
o Design calculation tools such as Mathcad and Microsoft Excel.
• Design Techniques:
o Circuit simulation and design tolerance analysis.
o Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation.
o Device selection - Interpretation of datasheets and knowledge of design methods to confidently select the lowest cost devices while achieving reliability targets.
• Lab experience
Experience of working in a laboratory environment.
Essential behavioural skills:
• Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
• Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
• Ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
• Excellent team working skills.
Additional experience that is desirable:
Knowledge of a wide range of sensors that can be used in a variety of projects
and not necessarily in existing categories you would expect from Dyson.
• An understanding of sensing systems, which can include but is not necessarily limited to gas, particulate, inertial and optical based sensors.
• Thermal management approaches for surface mount and through hole devices.
• Robust design including FMEA techniques.
• PCB layout – size/cost minimisation while achieving layouts for inherently good EMC compliance and thermal design.
• Design for high volume manufacture.
• Experience of programming on Linux or Android operating systems running on application level processors.
• Use of Git for software version control.
• Atlassian tools, including Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket • Keil µVision, IAR or similar IDEs
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
Performance related bonus
Free on-site parking
Subsidised café and restaurants
Discounts on Dyson machines