- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
About the role
Working as the materials point of contact within a wider technical support team, the new Materials Engineer will support our design teams during development of new products, ensuring they meet our high integrity and reliability standards and turn our next generation ideas into working products. This will involve providing materials selection guidance, testing and experimentation, support of new materials research and the creation of detailed materials documentation.
Accountabilities & Key responsibilities:
• Work with cross-functional teams in the UK NPD and the Far East, but also with teams in Research, NPI, and Procurement for all materials-related issues.
• Select, identify and evaluate materials based on design objectives such as mechanical robustness, thermal, UV and chemical resistance, but also materials that benefit aesthetics and cost.
• Support the Sustainability vision and strategy of the company.
• Use of key materials knowledge, literature research and experiments to validate results and substantiate materials choices.
• Support failure analysis and development of test methods.
• Communicate with new and existing suppliers.
• Document material selection criteria including criteria to meet compliance requirements.
Qualifications, skills and behaviours:
• BSc or higher in Materials Science & Engineering or a related subject is essential.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience within a relevant materials role, ideally in an R&D industry environment, but different levels will be considered for the right candidate.
• Sound knowledge of material properties with a preference to polymers and metal alloys.
• Knowledge of manufacturing techniques such as injection moulding, extrusion and compression moulding is desirable.
• Experience with a range of characterisation techniques such as Tensile testing, FTIR, DSC, TGA, Wear/Tribology.
• Knowledge of failure mechanisms, basic mechanical principles such as fatigue, creep, thermal expansion and tribology but also processing methods such as injection moulding is desirable.
• Knowledge or experience working with sustainable/renewable materials and surface coatings is desirable.
• Ability to communicate effectively with Designers, Senior Management and Engineering teams in the UK and South East Asia.
• Creative and methodical problem-solving skills accompanied with an enthusiastic, self-motivated and collaborative nature.
• Ability to manage time, manage multiple projects and prioritise activities according to project timelines.
• Experience with a Materials Selection software and Minitab is desirable.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Lift share scheme
- Discount on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.